Thursday, February 01, 2007

local stuffs

Did you know that vanilla comes from an orchid plant? I didn't.

And that when the orchid blooms it only lasts for one day and must be HAND pollinated? I didn't.

Did you know that Hawaii is growing vanilla locally? I didn't, until I read about the Hawaiian Vanilla Company on HapaHale's blog, and learned of HapaHale's blog when I looked at my Sitemeter readout (whew!).

While browsing on the Hawaiian Vanilla Company's website, I wanted to find out more about their shipping costs, so I emailed the Hawaiian Vanilla Company, but never got an answer (insert pouting face here).

So, I was really excited to find them at a local shop called Pat's Island Delights. This shop has been around for many years on Oahu and sells all kinds of local food products, as well as interior and bath items.

I got the Vanilla tea--Ceylon and Chinese black tea blended with the Hawaiian vanilla.

And 100% Hawaiian Arabica coffee blended with the Hawaiian vanilla.

I can't wait to try these when I return to Japan, I can almost smell the warm vanilla fragrance accompanying the tea and coffee.

Pat's Island Delights (UPDATE: 2018 not in business)
Davies Pacific Center
841 Bishop Street, Suite 155
Phone: 808.536.1414

Pearl City --this location no longer there due to a fire next door (2/20/08)
Waiau Center
98-450 Kamehameha Hwy.
Phone: 808.484.8808

Hawaiian Vanilla Company
P.O. Box 383
Paauilo, Hawaii 96776
Phone: 808.776.1771

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Kat you might be interested in a book by Patricia Rain called Vanilla. Google her name for more info.

K and S said...

Thanks Barbara, I'll look her up!

Take care!

Kat

Jann said...

Thanks for all the info! I am happy to see you out and about exploring and finding all these goodies to share with us!

K and S said...

Same here, Jann, I love all the info that you share too!

Take care.
Kat