Friday, April 13, 2007

foodie friday

Today I met Kazumi for a lesson and she brought many goodies.

First, a fruit sandwich. Have you ever had one? I had seen these in sandwich shops in and around Japan before, but never had one (I think I wasn't brave enough). It is sliced fruits with whipped cream sandwiched between bread. I must say though, it was good, not too sweet and a nice dessert after lunch.

Another item was spring cabbage. This was grown by her sister. It kind of has a purple tinge to it. I'm thinking of using it in a veggie stir-fry for dinner tonight.

Lastly, homemade marmalade. She said that she and her friends get together every year to make marmalade. And although she couldn't go this year, they still gave her a portion of the marmalade that they made and she gave me some too!

After our lesson, I went home and eagerly started to make flaxseed rolls. The batch came out just in time for tea. I've made this recipe several times, but this time the whole batch stuck to the parchment paper. I have a feeling it was because I didn't use any type of oil/butter. Still, the texture of the rolls were good and tasted great with the homemade marmalade. (Thank you Kazumi!)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fruit sandwich??!! Now that sounds like something I'd try. Maybe with some of the wild strawberries I can pick here...if only I wouldn't eat'em all before getting home! ;-)

K and S said...

ooh, wild strawberries! That would be cool, Rowena! Guess you may have to bring the bread and whipped cream out there when you go picking! ;)

Take care.
Kat

Melting Wok said...

tt's a brillant idea. Summer's coming soon, and I'm already whipping up my berry smoothies, might as well go fruity sandwich here hehe, thanks :)

K and S said...

mmm, smoothies, gotta start making those :) thanks for the tip, Melting Wok!

Take care.
Kat