Sunday, June 07, 2009

cherry clafoutis

I had been waiting for cherry season here, so I could make clafoutis. But the price of bing cherries from the US has been in my opinion, expensive! and most of the cherries I have seen didn't have that deep blackish color.

So, the other day, a market had a sale on cherries, 95 yen for 100 grams. I got a little less than 200 grams.

I had forgotten what recipe I used the very first time I made clafoutis and found one in Joanne Harris' "The French Kitchen". (After finding this recipe, I went back through my blog archives and found out I used the recipe from "The Silver Spoon".)

Anyway, the original recipe serves 6 so I cut the recipe to serve 2.

If you have some fruits lying around, this is a great recipe to make.

Adapted from "The French Kitchen" makes 2 servings
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
200 grams cherries, pitted
about 41 grams flour
about 16 grams sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 mililiters milk
vanilla sugar, for sprinkling

Heat oven to 180C (350F).
Grease the dish you will bake this in with the olive oil, I used ramekins.
Place the cherries into the dish.
Put the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla in another container.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry, mixing until you have a smooth batter.
Spoon batter over the cherries.
Bake for 40 minutes until the batter is firm to the touch and golden on top.
Sprinkle with vanilla sugar.

Mmmm...summer is here!

p.s. we also had our first taste of peaches this year and they were sweet, juicy...delish!

15 comments:

A said...

Mmmm..another yummy recipe! I will definitely try one of these days.. Happy Sunday Ms. Kat!

Jenster said...

It looks delicious, but what is the olive oil listed in the recipe for?

K and S said...

Thanks A, I hope you like it.

Jenster, the oil is to grease your ramekins or dish that you bake this in :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Yes, the "American cherries" are SO expensive. Sounds like you got a good deal, though.

Haven't had any momo yet - can't wait! The suika I've had is great!

K and S said...

Thanks Abigail, they weren't too sweet though :( I've had suika and will post about it tomorrow, I hope you can find reasonable momo, they are so delicious!

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Those look so ono!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura :)

Take care.
Kat

Rona Y said...

How big were the ramekins you used? Clafouti for two sounds perfect! Especially since I got a huge pack of cherries from Costco yesterday! (A little more expensive than what you paid, but not nearly as expensive as they've been recently. I think I paid Y1200 or so for a not-quite 1kg pack).

I love Japanese peaches! I'm usually gone during the summer, so I have to eat them while they're still a bit expensive. They're so worth it, though!

By the way, a pack of blueberries at Costco was less than Y800 for a fairly big pack. A steal when comparing to the Y600 for 50g at Ikari!

K and S said...

Hi Rona,

The ramekins I used were 7oz (200ml) size.

I also came across some blueberries, 125 grams for 398 yen, I think a little cheaper than Ikari! I think you got a great deal at Costco :)

The peaches I got were 2 for 498 yen.

I saw some figs today from Aichi but they were 600 yen! I think I will wait a little longer :)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - And I was just grumbling about how expensive cherries were here!

K and S said...

Wow! Kirkk, I didn't realize it was expensive there too!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Gorgeous! Makes me want to go buy some cherries!

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, I hope you make some :)

Take care.
Kat

kiss my spatula said...

i just bought cherries that need to be made into something immediately. thank you!

K and S said...

Thank you KMS! I hope you like this.

Take care.
Kat