Friday, June 19, 2009

jal & mon chou chou

It had been ages since flying with JAL. The amount of direct flights from Kansai International to Hawaii have been getting lesser and lesser as the years pass.

I usually fly United in order to accumulate mileage, but since they only fly out from Narita now, and there were talks of maybe them merging companies and maybe discontinuing the mileage program, we decided to use up our United mileage and join JAL's mileage program instead.

I try not to eat on board, the food isn't always good, and then if we hit turbulence...well, you get the picture.

So, I was all ready to skip my meal on board when I saw this orange box...Mon chou chou's Dojima roll cake. This cake is so popular in Osaka that there are lines to buy them.

Of course, not having tried it in Osaka I had to eat it...after eating some veggies and fruit, the entree was nothing spectacular.

The soft sponge cake is jammed with whipped cream....there is more cream than cake...delicious. I can see why there are lines for this.

Before our meal, everyone also received slippers and wipes for perspiration.

The thing that surprised me was that as soon as they cleared our dinner trays, they passed out these bags filled with a bottle of water, an anpan (sweet bean filled bun) & a milk bread...our breakfast.

The flight was long (close to 8 hours), but at least I was able to sleep.

I am glad that the tradewinds are back, I've heard it has been quite miserable for the pass couple of days.

Hope you have a great weekend.

p.s. my dates and times will be posted in Japan time.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat, did you fly economy or business class? I'm curious because I thought they only gave out amenities like slippers on business class, but was surprised that they gave you a bagged breakfast. Is that what business class has come to? I'm glad you are home and am looking forward to your posts about being back (but don't forget to relax and enjoy yourself, too!).

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yes, your timing is good--at least the air is moving now. Glad you had a good flight with plenty of carbs! ;-)

OkiHwn said...

Eh, have a good time. Me, I getting ready to move back home. As of now I leave here August 4.

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - I hope you have a great trip.....can't wait to read about it!

Chibog in Chief said...

I've always wanted to taste this cake but the line up discouraged me all the time! I'm jealous! oishi-so

K and S said...

Thanks Anon, this was economy :)

Love my carbs Deb :)

Thanks Nate, too bad you coming home after I go back. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Thanks Kirkk :)

Most lines discourage me too Dhanggit :) I hope you get to try it soon!

Take care everyone.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Welcome home Kat! Hope you have an awesome time!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura :)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

You want me to send you anything - mayonnaise, bacon - before I pack up and leave?

K and S said...

Thanks Nate, but I think we will manage. I still have a couple more of those bacon that you gave us and we just started using the mayo.

Take care and I hope the move goes smoothly.

Kat

Suze said...

Welcome Back! Your timing is really good. Glad you had a good flight. Grant will be back in July...early July for his reunion. :)

Kelly said...

I'm sorry to hear about the flights out to Hawaii drying up. Why do you think that is?

Your blogs often make me homesick. I lived in Hawaii right before we moved to Japan!

The Dojima roll cake from Mon chou chou looks AWESOME!

K and S said...

Thanks Suze, just met up with your mom and dad and they mentioned Grant's visit, hope to be able to see you too :)

Sorry to hear that my posts make you homesick Biologie :( I guess with the cost of fuel increasing and lessening of passengers, more and more airlines are decreasing their flights.

Take care you two.
Kat

islegrl said...

I saw your Zippy's photo on Flickr and was wondering if you were in Hawaii. : )

Compared to UAL, wouldn't you say JAL has better service? I love how they give out the amenity kit. On the flights from Narita, they give out blueberry bagels instead of the anpan and milk bread. And for the meal dessert, it's usually some sort of purin vs. your yummy looking cream sponge cake. That cake looks sooo good!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here! : )

K and S said...

Yes Islegrl, JAL does have better service...ooh blueberry bagels sounded nice :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Aghhhh! You're home (and I'm feeling a little wistful for the islands right now). :(

Interesting note on the airline food, because when flying British Airlines, I always look forward to mealtimes. Of course I think because of the long distance, they feed us better? I never ever get the chance to take pics of the food, being too hungry to eat instead of whip out the camera. Look forward to all your posts from home!!!!!!

K and S said...

This trip will be "a little" shorter than my trips in the past, Rowena, hope the trades keep up though, heard it was nasty the week before I came back.

I know you travel with the big camera, so whipping it out at mealtime on the plane would be kind of humbug.

Take care.
Kat