Monday, January 25, 2010

chili soup

You ever had one of those days when you want to eat two different things and can't make up your mind which one you should choose?

That was my dilemma on Thursday night. I wanted something soupy, but I also wanted chili.

My solution, I combined the two...chili soup (a total throw together recipe)...

Kat's Chili Soup

1 large stalk of celery, chopped
all the celery leaves, chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
1 packet chili seasoning (I used Lawry's)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1/4 cup total: wheat berries & pearl barley, rinsed

Sautee veggies (including celery leaves) in oil until onion is transparent and all are well coated with the oil
Add water and grains
Add chili seasoning, beans and tomatoes
Cook on low for 10 minutes, check to make sure that grains are not sticking to the bottom of your pot
Cook another 10 minutes.
Serve with rice or bread.
Enjoy!

NOTES: this hit the spot! lots of veggies and kick from the chili seasoning. If you want your vegetables a little softer then cook it for longer. I tend to like my veggies a bit crunchy, so I don't cook it very long. I also didn't add any salt because those packets of seasoning tend to already be quite salty. I'm making this again.

p.s. About a week after going for my physical, I received my results (fast, yeah??)....and my cholesterol is high overall, but the "good" cholesterol number is higher than the "bad".

If you look at the summary, I had all "A"s, except for my eye test...I had a "D". I guess I should have brought my glasses with me, but didn't think to at the time.

Oh well, I'll still try to eat better and go for more walks.

Have a nice week!

p.s. I'm sending this over to Deb's for her Souper Sundays! (it will appear next week, but check out the round-up for this week!)

14 comments:

Hannah said...

I love quick and easy recipes like this! And being a fan of chillies and chilli seasoning, I can definitely see myself making this when I have access to a kitchen again :)

Dennis K. said...

Soupili, or Chiloup! I totally had a soup craving two days ago when it was pouring rain here.

K and S said...

I hope you like it Hannah :)

Love the namings Dennis!

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have been craving chili--this looks like a great way to have it in a soup form. Hope you send it to next week's round-up. ;-) Congrats on getting mostly great results on your physical!

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, I've sent it to you for next week's round up :) Hope you like it.

Take care.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Hi there Kat,

congrats on your health exam results!

Just learnt Evoo is not some evil additive-which I knew you wouldn't use anyway-but Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Thanks for the heads up. I'll stick with the Extra etc name though...

TK

K and S said...

Actually I think it was Food Network's Rachel Ray who made EVOO a "normal" word which is input into the dictionaries, TK :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

LOL! I say EVOO all the time because of RR. ;-)

Delicious-looking soup, especially on a cold NY day.

Have a great week.

Paz

K and S said...

Paz, I also use "Yum-O" but try not to too often :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - It's defnitely soup weather around here..... good to know the results of the physical were ostly positive.

Rowena said...

You just gave me an idea on what to make this week. I was wondering how I'd use up the stash of frozen vegs from the summer harvest!

K and S said...

Kirk, I may have to make another batch of soup...brrr!

Rowena, can't wait to see what you make :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Megan said...

Came over from Deb's blog for Souper Sundays - what a neat idea for soup and chili! And I'm amazed that you can get Lawry's seasoning in Japan.

K and S said...

Thanks for stopping by Megan, I think I brought these packets back with me :) We can get some seasoning packets in Japan, but I don't think they are chili, mostly taco.

Take care.
Kat