Friday, January 20, 2017

revive

I found some nori in my pantry that was stuck together and rather stale.

I would usually ask my mom as to what she thought should be done, but since that isn't possible, I turned to the internet.

Of the solutions, I chose to revive the nori in the toaster.

Total 3 minutes.

1 minute, flip, 1 minute.

Turn off toaster and let sit for another minute.

Actually, I think the internet said something about 30 seconds for each side, but since I didn't write anything down, I just ad-libbed.

I'm glad it was revivable and I didn't have to throw it out.

We added some to our okayu (rice porridge) the other morning.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i keep my nori in the freezer and it still gets stale and stuck. I did try putting them in the toaster oven but too high and too long so they crinkled up and burnt, now I know, 30 seconds!
I revive my bubu arare in the toaster oven too. spread them on the pan and about 150-200 degrees.
v

jalna said...

Whaaaa? I didn't know you could revive nori. I've been wanting to get a toaster oven, but don't have the counter space. Hopefully my konmari decluttering project will help open up some space for me.

Rowena said...

I've always used up stale nori by letting it crisp up on my cast iron skillet, then blitzing in a blender before adding to popcorn...or...sometimes I just pop the whole sheet in my mouth!

Unknown said...

My mother always used to "toast" the nori over the (electric) stove burners to make musubi, so that's one way of doing it. Of course, if you have a gas stove, won't work. BTW, my parents always called rice porridge "okai", and tea and rice porridge "chagai". Is that kind of like pidgin Japanese?

K and S said...

Thanks for telling me about bubu arare V, I found some of that too in my pantry...

Jalna, you can always try Rowena's method in a frying pan :)

That sounds like a great way Rowena!

Your mom's method sounds similar to the toaster Lorna. I think people in Hawaii call rice porridge "okai" and with tea "chagai". I don't think it is pidgin Japanese but might be the dialect of where most of our ancestors are from :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

KirkK said...

Toaster oven works for us Kat!

K and S said...

nice Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat