Tuesday, January 24, 2017

dashichazuke

I recently saw dashichazuke featured on a morning program.

Instead of tea, you use dashi (stock).

These days, I make my stock "coldbrew" style a day ahead.

Filling a container with the amount of water suggested on the package and putting in a "tea bag" style dashi packet.

Then I put the container in the refridge overnight.

The next morning, I put some rice into a bowl and then serve with different toppings.

Bubu arare (tiny rice cracker balls), nori (revived in the toaster), tsukemono, some fish...(put whatever you enjoy)

The first time I did this, I thought that the grilled saba (mackerel) would have enough saltiness so that I wouldn't need to season the dashi (stock), but it did need a little seasoning, so...

The next time I made this, I heated up 300 milliliters (about a cup and a half) of dashi (for 2 people) with a teaspoon of shoyu and a teaspoon of mirin.

I heated this thoroughly but didn't boil it.

If you give this a try, I hope you like it.

It is perfect for these cold mornings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you'd write how you make this because I've been wanting to try. When I ate this at Narita airport back in October, I didn't realize it was dashi until I drank the leftover soup. I was fully expecting tea so it was really a pleasant surprise and I've been thinking about it ever since.
v

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of questions: is there a reason to make the dashi cold brew style? Like, cold brew coffee has a higher caffeine kick and but not bitter. Also, is this a cold/chilled dish? or, do you warm up the dashi and rice before eating?
I really want to try making this this weekend!
Thanks again for sharing your "how to"
v

K and S said...

V, the reason I make it "cold brew style" is so that I don't have to turn on the gas/electricity. I don't think it affects the strength of the dashi by doing it this way. Also, you can use the dashi any way you like, cold or hot, just don't boil or you risk it getting bitter.

Hope it works and you like it :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Ooh, looks good! I'll have to try this with some bagged dashi I have.

K and S said...

hope you like it K!

Take care.
Kat