Monday, January 30, 2017

kuruma-fu

Have you ever seen these at the market? Kuruma-fu.

They are wheat gluten rings.

Apparently they were created for Buddhist monks to replace the meat in their diets.

It reminded me of bread.

When I looked online, there were people using it as bread too.

To reconstitute them, you need to put them into water for about 10 minutes.

Then using your palms, gently press out the water from the kuruma-fu.

I made this into french toast.

It was watery, so I need to press out more water.

And these rings were getting larger and larger as I was cooking them, soaking up whatever liquid it could get.

2 rings per person was very filling, so I am thinking that the next time I make this, I will use only 1 ring per person and soak it overnight in the milk-egg mixture.

Will let you know how my experimenting goes...

4 comments:

jalna said...

Ooooh, your overnight soak plan sounds like a winnah!

K and S said...

I hope it works Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

never heard of those, what a great alternative for vegans.

K and S said...

it really is Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat