Friday, September 22, 2006

gozasoro


Gozasoro is a Japanese confection that is cooked between two metal molds. They put a thin batter on one side add the bean paste filling, then put batter on the other side, just before the batter hardens, they put the two sides together and flip several times while cooking until golden brown.

There is another version of this called "taiyaki". It is in the shape of a fish called "tai" (sea bream), "yaki" means to bake or grill, and filled with the sweet bean paste. The untraditional version has chocolate or custard inside.

Satoshi received these Gozasoro from his University baseball club "sempai". Here is Wikipedia's definition of it, (here).

In order to heat it up, I put it into the toaster, I made a mistake and put it in for about 6 minutes. The outside got really crunchy and tasted wonderful!

Tomorrow is another National holiday, Shubun no hi (Autumnal Equinox Day or the first day of Autumn). I know, it is Saturday, but for some, they actually go to work on Saturdays, so the observance of this holiday is not on Friday --which would be how America would observe it.

Enjoy the weekend!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo! We have the 'sea-bream' version too! They're sold all over Korea at all kinds of eateries and are called 'boong-oh bbang' (looks weird I know, I'm working phonetically) - boong-oh being the fish it's shaped like, and bbang meaning bread!

Anonymous said...

When I clicked to enlarge the image I wasn't expecting to be so "taken" with the photo. I could just "taste" the gozasoro in my head. You're lucky, all that great treats that Satoshi brings home!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Sorry about the meme thing, I'm actually behind like 3 of them and can't keep up!

K and S said...

Hi Ellie,
What a neat name for them!

Thanks Rowena, don't worry about the meme thing. And I was thinking about making everyone drool with that photo ;)

Take care you two!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is an interesting dish, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! I like to learn something new. Thanks!

Paz

K and S said...

Hi Bea,
It is very delicious, I hope you get to try it when you come to Japan!

Hi Paz,
I learn something new from everyone's blogs too.

Take care you two.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat - I love eating these (or Taiyaki) while they are still nice and hot... :) I've never heard of the name gozasoro but I guess you have different names depending on where you live.

K and S said...

Hi Keiko,

Yes, these are great right off the grill. I think you are right about the names being different in different areas.

Hope you get to come home soon!

Take care.

Kat

jasmine said...

That looks so good...getting hungry :)

j

K and S said...

I'll heat one up for you Jasmine!
Thanks for stopping by.

Kat