Monday, September 25, 2006

sweet potato salad

Part of tonight's dinner was a sweet potato salad. I combined carrots, red bell pepper, red onion and steamed sweet potato with a scoop of plain yogurt, a little squeeze of mayo and some grinds of pepper.

I have a steamer basket that fits into my one and only big pot, it makes cooking sweet potato, corn, and beans a snap!

A little trivia...Sweet potato is in Japan is called satsuma imo. Satsuma is the old province name for the Kagoshima area and imo is potato. In the Edo period, most of the rice crops failed and a famine swept across Japan. Only the people in Satsuma (Kagoshima) were found to be in good health. They realized this was due to their eating lots of sweet potatoes. After the famine subsided, the government had everyone in Japan plant sweet potatoes as insurance against famine.

This salad was nice, not too heavy because of the yogurt and all of the flavors of each ingredient shined, I'm eating a bit early because I have a lesson tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Potato salad, yum!w

K and S said...

Thanks Bea!

Kat

Anonymous said...

First of all, what's that Labels thing at the bottom? I'm guessing it's some new feature of blogger? That sure is a handy way of tagging subjects. Boy am I way behind on stuff...

I'm curious to know what kind of sweet potato that you're using. At first I thought it was the purple type but I can't discern anything purplish in the pic. Sounds really good though!

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,
I think the label thing is so that when people google, they'll come upon your blog. I switched over to Beta Blogger.
I think the sweet potato I used was from Kyushu, but it is purple on the outside and whitish-yellow on the inside. I steamed it before putting it into the salad.
Thanks for stopping by.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, tasty AND low GI - they're calling sweet potato the new pumpkin due to it's similar texture and flavour and it's greater health benefits!