Tuesday, March 11, 2008

hawaii bakes & eats

Yesterday, tried a coffee cake recipe which I saw in a local newspaper last month. I just loved the fact that I had counter space to work on. (my counter space in Japan is the size of an 8½" x 11" piece of paper....really!)

Cocoa-Yogurt Coffee Cake adapted from Honolulu Star-Bulletin (HSB)
“By Request” Feb 20, 2008 : Makes 18 cupcakes

6 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 ½ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup plain, non-fat yogurt

Filling:
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Cream butter & sugar. Add vanilla and eggs.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt
Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately w/ yogurt until combined
Spoon some batter into the cupcake liners.
Sprinkle filling on batter.
Top with remaining batter.
Bake at 350F for 12 minutes. Test for doneness with toothpick.

NOTES: I had put too much batter into the liners and didn't have enough to cover the filling. This recipe is easy and the cupcakes come out really light and not too sweet and goes nicely with a cup of black coffee.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

bourgogne said...

omg i want some!

Thistlemoon said...

I love coffee cake and with the yogurt as part of it, it must be awesome!

Jenny said...

Delicious! Great to still see that you're in Hawaii! How long are you staying for?

Rowena said...

I had no idea that your kitchen counter in Japan was that small. It sure must feel great to get some "elbow room" at your mom's place! Yummy coffee cake (can't go wrong with Betty Shimabukoro) - Happy Baking!

Anonymous said...

I've been eating those whole wheat desserts for so long, I think I need to splurge soon. I opened the link to your big picture - it looks delicious!

K and S said...

Definitely a nice way to splurge, Lori :)

OMG, counterspace is heavenly, Rowena!

Couple more weeks, Jenny :(

I think the yogurt helps to make these cakes moist as well as a little more "figure friendly", Jenndz.

Thanks Bourgogne x 3!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

That looks so ono! I will have to try it.

K and S said...

I hope you like them Myra!

Take care.
Kat