Thursday, May 15, 2008

banh mi cravings

If you haven't figured it out by now, reading food blogs can be dangerous. It can make you hungry for all sorts of foods (at all times of the day!). Take for example, Kirk's blog.

Living in Japan, there isn't too much access to ethnic foods like Vietnamese. Well, there is, but most of it is tailored to the Japanese palate. So, after seeing his posts on banh mi (if you go through his blog, he has a LOT, as well as other tantalizing posts as well), I knew it was time to make some.

On my last trip home, I purchased this gadget. Now, making the veggies for banh mi are simple.

I followed the recipe here, but this time I added some chili flakes and a dash of shoyu. I also marinated the veggies overnight.

I wish my flat leaf parsley was bigger, so that I could have added more to the sandwich, but made do with what I had.

This sandwich really settled the fix for banh mi....thanks for the idea, Kirk!

7 comments:

OkiHwn said...

What kind of meat you used?

I like either char siu or the pate!

K and S said...

Nate, I used roast pork, couldn't find pate or char siu. The roast pork that I bought has a slight sweet coating on the outside.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Looks yummy!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, it was :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - That was so nice of you, to mention us....thank you. Everything does taste better on a Banh Mi, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Of course! I also bought one of those peelers, but in Thailand, where it's used to shred green papaya for salads. I'm definitely going to use it for the carrot and daikon pickles!
Thanks!

K and S said...

I really enjoy your blog, Kirkk! and yes, everything tastes better on bahn mi :)

I hope you enjoy using the gadget, Su-Lin :)

Take care you two.
Kat