Wednesday, November 04, 2009

kanpai bar & grill

Monday, had lunch with my mom & Aunty M at Kanpai Bar & Grill.

I had heard that our family friend, Neil, had opened a restaurant, so I had my Aunty check it out. She loved the food when she went, so she recommended we check it out when I came home in July, but we didn't get a chance to go.

The atmosphere is a sports bar, so it was a little noisy, but the food was good. Everything is served family-style, so everyone can pick and munch while watching some kind of sport!

We had the spicy garlic chicken US$8+tax, fried rice with 2 eggs US$8+tax, garlic fries US$6+tax and the Kanpai house salad (not sure of the price).

The spicy garlic chicken wasn't too spicy, deep fried with the skins on it and really flavorful. The fried rice had everything in it, portuguese sausage, bacon, spam, we had the 2 eggs done over-medium and it was nice with the yolk a little runny. The garlic fries were super garlicky (be prepared not to talk to anyone after eating this), but crispy. And the house salad was good but had a bit too much wasabi greens for my liking.

We didn't get a chance to see Neil, but enjoyed our lunch (Thanks for lunch Aunty!)

I'm sure we'll be back.

Kanpai Bar & Grill (UPDATE: relocating 2013)
404 Ward Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.593.9202

7 comments:

jalna said...

Wow, that chicken sure looks yummy!

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks good. Where in the Ward area is it? I don't think I have seen it.

K and S said...

It was Jalna, you should go with your friends, I'm sure you would have fun there :)

Where Dixie Grill used to be (across from Sports Authority) Debinhawaii. During the daytime, kinda looks dark, but at night they have a neon sign lit up.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I love garlic fries, though I never have it if I need to talk to someone soon after my meal.

gtrine said...

hey Kat:

Hope you are enjoying your unplanned visit home. This bowl of chicken looks fantastic! It's making me very hunrgy. It will be fun to know what Satoshi has been eating while you are away.

Rowena said...

Glad to see that you're eating good grindz while you're there. Dining at a sports bar...now that's something that I've not done in awhile! Go 'bows!

K and S said...

I didn't think I was Kirk, but ended up having to :0

I will definitely post that when I get back Gtrine :0

Definitely not a place to have a lot of conversation Rowena, but really good food :)

Take care everyone.
Kat