Monday, April 04, 2011

some "me" time

Friday the weather was beautiful, so I headed to Suigetsu Park after lunch.

The ume has since finished flowering and the Edohigan cherry tree was in full bloom. It was nice to get out and about.

Most days I do have a lot of "me" time, and I'm not complaining, I use the time to try new recipes, go for walks, explore (as well as do chores).

But on Saturday, Satoshi had to work. He also needed to attend a co-worker's funeral in the evening, so he didn't need dinner and I ended up with a "lot" more "me" time than usual.

Since the weather was sunny but hazy (think it is that dust cloud from China that comes around every year, blah!), I threw together a bento and went back to Suigetsu Park for lunch.

A tamagoyaki (rolled omlette) with shiofuki kombu (seasoned dried kelp), horenso goma-ae, rakkyo (pickled scallions), a musubi with ume (pickled apricot) and a musubi with tororo konbu (thinly shaved kelp), a strawberry and some green tea.

It was nice to get out of the house and get close with nature for awhile.

So like I said, Satoshi didn't need dinner. Usually I buy something pre-made, because who wants to cook for one?! This time though, I put together these "gourmet dogs".

I've been seeing the "Japa-dog" around the blogosphere, lately. I don't really care for the name and kind of find it offensive, so I'm calling mine a Japan dog...lettuce, arabiki (coarsely ground) hot dog, some tonkatsu sauce, some kewpie mayo, green onions and shredded nori. Tonkatsu sauce really matches with weiners, maybe because tonkatsu and weiners are made from pork?!

And since I had some leftover seasoned meat for taco rice, I added it to an arabiki hot dog with some lettuce and salsa for a taco dog. (wish I had had some cheese to sprinkle on top too)

I couldn't find long hot dogs, so there are actually 2 small ones in the bun. I like the hot dogs in Japan, they have a really nice crisp snap when you bite into them, though they aren't as "thick" as the ones you find in the States.

Also a must is toasting the bun before assembling.

I had this with some Minoo Stout...I wonder what Satoshi had for dinner tonight?

What have you been up to?

21 comments:

Dennis K. said...

I personally need a lot of me time.. Wish I could 'throw together' a bento like that! :)

jalna said...

OMG your lunch AND dinner look great!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

We went to the annual Japanese Sakura Festival here in Seattle today and we actually had some of those Japanese hot dogs! I had never heard of them before but there is an o-mise here in Seattle that does them (a guy from Kyoto and a woman from Tokyo). It was fun to chat with them and try hot dogs a new way. Stephen had a "matsuri" dog with onions, nori, grated carrots, etc. Mine was "samurai" and it was SO good with daikon, ponzu, wasabi-mayo, and kizami negi. I didn't actually care for the hot dog itself (skin too thick and it was WAY too salty) but the toppings were great.

K and S said...

thanks Dennis :) hope you get more me time.

Thanks Jalna :)

Sounds good Abigail, too bad they were too salty.

Take care everyone!
Kat

genkitummy said...

I like "me" time too. But when Mike works on some Saturdays, I don't like all the "me" time.
Those "Japan Dogs" as you call them sound interesting. I bet we'll be seeing something similar in the US in those trendy foods trucks!

Rissa said...

When you say, "I threw together a bento", I get the impression that it was really quick preparation. I think that bento would take me about an hour to make, hahaha~
Today, I studied for my upcoming finals (and then I'll be done my freshman year, how fast time passes...). It was very nice and sunny here in Montréal today, which I was extra grateful for since I turn 19 today, hehe~

K and S said...

Hope you get to try some Japan dogs if they come to your area Genki :)

Thanks Rissa, and happy birthday!

Take care you two.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

Just bought some arabiki today and was wondering what I should do with it! Usually just eat it with rice and eggs (like spam/egg/rice combo)...but turning them into hot dogs sounds like fun!

Japan Australia said...

Your dinner with the gourmet dogs looks really good. Love the toppings for the Japan dog with tonkatsu sauce, mayo, green onions and nori. A classic Japanese combo!!

Japan Australia

manju said...

Very imaginative little hot dogs! I love how easily you can throw together a cute bento like that, too...

K and S said...

hope you like them as hot dogs Kathy :)

Thanks J-A :)

Thanks Manju :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

I wish I lived near you. We could hang out together thinking about food, eating yummy food, walking in nature... sounds like what I would do! Sakura started yet? Always Ume first, right? I forgot those things...

K and S said...

I think it is ume, momo then sakura, Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Me time is always good! The hotdogs sound tasty.
;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Those hot dogs look great! I would definitely try either of those and I don't even really love hot dogs, haha.

K and S said...

wow! thanks K :)

Take care.
Kat

Rinshinomori said...

Hi Kat - enjoy reading your life in Osaka area. The tororo kombu musubi - did you just use it out of the package? Or did you do anything before using it for omusubi?

K and S said...

Thanks Rinshinomori, I use the tororo kombu straight from the package. It is already seasoned.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

That last question made me laugh because if I had time to share everything in a post...auwe! And me time? Hmmpff! The dogs take up any spare minutes that I have away from the pc or garden.

Btw, do you have a favorite of that Mariage Freres tea? I can order online but prefer to just check out a shop that supposedly sells MF's stuff.

K and S said...

Rowena,
I don't have one favorite of MF teas:
For fruity teas, I like Bolero, Marco Polo.

For earl grey, Earl Grey Imperial, Earl Grey French Blue.

Iskandar is great as an iced tea.
As chai, Chandernagor is good.

Hope you can go to an MF store, that way you can "sniff" before buying.

Take care.
Kat