Saturday, June 18, 2011

2 h

The first h is for Hattendo...a sweet shop that has been making these "cream pan" (cream filled bread) since 1933 in Hiroshima.

The bread is so soft it reminded me of a butter roll or the outside of a baked manapua (char siu bao).

And each is filled very generously with different creams...custard, ogura (azuki), matcha (green tea), chocolate, nama cream (whipped cream).

We recently spotted their kiosk in the JR Osaka station and tried the custard & ogura, 200 yen (about US$2) each.

Right out of the refrig, ice cold...so good!

The second h is for Hanamichi ramen.

A ramen shop in our neighborhood recently started serving...black curry ramen.

The curry is sweet then turns addictingly spicy...my nose ran because it was so spicy!

The soup has different mushrooms and...chutney!

You'll find raisins here and there.

Definitely hit the spot on the rainy day we had...830 yen (about US$8.30).

It is only being served for a limited time, so I'm glad we got to try it.

7 comments:

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Oh my goodness both dish look so good. I miss cream pan. This ramen looks GOOD. You are eating so well as always. Hehee.

Mariko said...

Raisins...? That is so interesting.
I love me some fresh baked cream pans. Man. Can you send one over here?

K and S said...

sometimes too well, Nami :)

sure Mariko :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - That sounds like something I'd like to try!

K and S said...

yeah Kirk, I think you'd enjoy this ramen :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

I adore Japanese cream pan - all of those flavors sound delicious!

By the way, I am making omurice tonight!

K and S said...

I'm glad we didn't buy more flavors K, we would've eaten them in one sitting! how was your omurice??

Take care.
Kat