Wednesday, June 15, 2011

zanmaiya

A couple of weeks ago we tried Zanmaiya.

Zanmai means "extravagant" or "luxurious"...the place isn't luxurious at all. (-ya means shop or store)

In fact, it is an okonomiyaki and noodle shop, so it has a kind of rustic feel to it.

After ordering, the food takes awhile to come out because okonomiyaki does take some time to cook.

I enjoyed killing time watching the kitchen especially their amazing gadget, a machine that take care of the noodles.

They throw in a bundle of noodles and the basket, lowers itself into the boiling water, then when it is time, the basket comes back up.

The cook grabs the black handle then shakes out the excess water...neat, yeah?

Oh and the guy in the background is chopping green onions...those blue baskets are filled to the brim with them!

They have many different okonomiyaki sauces mainly from around Osaka and the Kansai area, but they also have some from other areas of Japan too.

I never realized there were so many brands!

We ordered the gyu-suji (beef muscle) yakisoba.

Gyu-suji is simmered for many hours until it is tender...this was melt in your mouth tender.

We also ordered the Kimura-kun okonomiyaki. Kimura is a play on someone's name and the ingredients used in the okonomiyaki.

Kimu is for kim chee, ra is for ra-yu (chili oil) and kun is the informal for mister.

This okonomiyaki was topped with kim chee, ra-yu and some veggies (okra & tomatoes).

I was hoping to try the different sauces they had but this particular okonomiyaki had its own sauce.

I loved the spicy mixed with the fresh veggies and the sweetness of the sauce.

Other than having to wait awhile for the food, we loved this place...we'll be back.

Zanmaiya
Umeda Ichibangai
Umeda, Osaka
Phone: 06.6314.2023

13 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Love gyu-suji or beef tendon. Did I have it with you at the place in Chinatown?

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmm...sounds like a yummy meal!! What fun watching the preparation of the noodles~

K and S said...

nope when we ate in Chinatown Nate, you had roast duck.

Thanks Lizzy! it was delicious and fun.

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Looks like a great first visit! Love okonomiyaki and noodles, what a great concept.

Anonymous said...

I could eat copious amounts of kimchee over rice, for some reason, it has become comfort food, of course I blame Sebastian for this, there's not a week that goes by we are without it.

I have not been to Chinatown in Osaka yet.

KirkK said...

Man that beef tendon looks good.... I love tendon!

Dennis K. said...

Wow that gadget is amazing! I know a many ramen-ya's here that could use it, haha. Same with Nate, I love gyu-suji!

K and S said...

I think they also had some ramen K, will check the next time.

I know Osaka has a Korean town, have you been? I haven't yet, but hear it is a great place to get authentic kim chee.

Thanks Kirk, it was delicious, I think if prepared right, it is my favorite too.

I agree more place need a gadget like this Dennis :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

You know I'll be looking forward to your next visit. OkonoMEyaki!

Japan Australia said...

I love Okonomiyaki. It is one of my favourite Japanese dishes. I enjoy the restaurants in Japan where you can make and cook the Okonomiyaki on the hot plate in front of your table.

Japan Australia

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Envious.... I want to eat Okonomiyaki. I haven't cooked that for a while. See, I have to "cook" it. I wish it is served to me. Hehee.

OkiHwn said...

I went back again and had the beef tendon stew on wat min. Hard to remember things in my old age!

K and S said...

thanks Rowena, we'll go soon for you :)

I prefer the ones where they cook for me J-A, I'm too lazy I guess :p

maybe you should teach your kids to make it then you won't actually have to cook, Nami :)

lol Nate

Take care everyone.
Kat