Friday, December 09, 2011

re-create

It's apple season here and in Japan there are many different varieties.

My favorites are the Fuji and San-Fuji, in season, both are crisp and sweet, sometimes you can see the natural sugars that form near the core.

Interestingly, the difference between Fuji and San-Fuji is how they are cultivated. The Fuji has a bag put around its fruit while the San-Fuji doesn't.

I was craving the apple camembert panini that I had at La Marina de Bourbon, sadly this cafe has closed in Umeda, so the only way to have this was to re-create it.

I purchased some english muffins, camembert and a San-Fuji.

Apple Camembert Tartine (open sandwich) for 1
1 english muffin
1/4 of camembert cheese wheel
1/4 san-fuji apple
smears of grainy mustard
2 leaves lettuce

Cut the camembert into fourths, then cut a 1/4 piece in half.
Split one english muffin in half and put a 1/8 piece of cheese on each...toast.
Spread some grainy mustard on each after toasting.
While spreading the mustard, spread the melty cheese too.
Top with lettuce.
Cut apple into fourths, de-seed.
Take 1/4 of the apple and slice thinly, top your english muffin with it.
Lunch is served.

NOTES: Even if this wasn't a panini, it was close to what I had at the cafe and perfect for lunch.

It's Friday here, hope you have a great weekend!

10 comments:

Rowena said...

Interesting tidbit about how the differently the apples are cultivated. I have never seen bags being put around apples!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, my...I think I need to pick up some Camembert. What a fabulous sandwich idea!!!

K and S said...

it pays to "google" Rowena :) I hadn't known about the bags too!

Hope you like this Lizzy :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Japanese Fuji apples are amazing and popular all around the world. We have some great varieties now in Australia :)

Japan Australia

Kathy YL Chan said...

Sounds good! I've got some Camembert in the fridge waiting to be eaten.... :)

K and S said...

sounds like you have some good apples there J-A!

hope you like this Kathy :)

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Looks great! Fuji apples are my favorite too!

K and S said...

I don't think I can eat any other type K :0

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

A great combination--love the creamy cheese and crisp apple. ;-)

K and S said...

been eating a lot of these lately Deb :)

Take care.
Kat