Wednesday, May 26, 2021

pepper rice

I have been seeing this all over the internet recently and had to try.

Jenny tried it and her version is called  yakiniku fried rice.

After looking online I think Pepper Lunch came up with this idea first, they have all sorts of variations on their menu.

The components are pretty simple...beef, rice, garlic, green onions, corn, butter and yakiniku sauce.

For the yakiniku sauce, I used the recipe for Mio's sauce.

Since most people were staying at home in Japan (not eating out), most people were making this on their hot plates.

Here is how I made mine...(serves 2)

olive oil
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
1 cup rice, cooked
125 grams thinly sliced beef
4 stalks green onion, sliced
1 package corn (100 grams), rinsed 
nub of butter (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons yakiniku sauce
grinds of pepper
wedges of lemon

Heat the oil on medium and add the garlic
When the garlic is fragrant, add the rice and turn off the heat
Arrange the meat around the rice
Top the rice with green onions, corn and butter
Turn the heat back on to medium, cook the meat for a couple of minutes (depends on the thickness of your meat and to your liking)
Break up the rice gently with a wooden spoon 
Add the sauce and fold in gently
Cover for a minute, grind pepper and serve

Satoshi loved this.

You can add more garlic and more sauce, but this amount was perfect for us.

You could even use different veggies and meats.

NOTES: I served this with wedges of lemon and I think  it helped to cut the richness of this dish.

I will probably make this again during the summer when I don’t feel like cooking.

On a side note, have you tried this chuhai? it is called zeitaku shibori and is made by Asahi. I bought the lychee flavored one and it tasted like you were actually eating lychee.

Hope to find more of these...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess I'll have to try this weekend. Looks so ono! I think I would go with Jenny's ready made sauce, cut down on the time cuz I'm lazy.
Was wondering why it would be called pepper when it doesn't seem to have much pepper inside. plus, i thought the green was bell pepper.
v

K and S said...

V, I think the “pepper” part of name is just from the restaurant’s name...hope you like this:)

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

Looks good!

jenny said...

The lemon juice is a great idea! I was wondering what was a good way to cut through the savory meat and sauce! And ooh that chuhai sounds amazing, I should see if Don Q gets it in one day. I love lychee!

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna!

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Hope you can find this chuhai Jenny:)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

The Missus would love that Chuhai Kat! Nice recipe!

K and S said...

Hope you can find some for her Kirk.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

oh this is something that I'll have to try now that I will soon be cooking for one! MotH is taking over caregiver duties 6 days out of 7, and I'll eventually go with him too after the garden is all settled in.

K and S said...

Praying and good vibes for your FIL, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat