Friday, May 21, 2021

this and that

Remember the peonies I had bought for Mother's Day? well, they kinda started to bloom then started to dry up before fully blooming...AND there were either seeds or bugs coming out of them...eek! (you can kind of see it on the table)
This cat that we saw near Umeyashiki was screeching so loud, I stopped to turn around to see where it was...I think he was hangry.

I finally got up the courage to use MIL's (3 cup) rice cooker, happy to say I did not fail making some rice using it.

Amazed at how teeny a 3 cup rice cooker (left) is in comparison to a 5 cup.

Taco rice that I bought for my lunch the other day...863 calories...eep!

The rice was a little too soft for my liking though but everything else was delicious.

Satoshi bought the squid ink yakisoba...we had fun taking pictures of his black teeth...we are so bored!
The supermarket we were at was having a Okinawa Fair, so we picked up these 2 flavored ice cream bars  by Blue Seal, which I believe is part of  the Foremost?!  

They had one with chocolate mint (my fave!) and strawberry which I thought was a little to "plain", so I chose ube pistachio, the ube was undetectable, but the pistachio flavor was delicious!

The dishes above were also part of the Okinawa Fair.

We are still keeping zen, staying close to home as much as possible, though we do go out for walks to buy lunch when it is sunny.

There are days when it rains, so on those days we stay in.

Hope you all are doing well.

Have a safe weekend.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad about the peonies. They are so pretty when blooming but a half open one is pretty too. I think the cat is too fat to be hangry, LOL.
I was thinking of making taco rice for lunch one day next week. There is a burrito place in our building that makes burrito bowls if you rather than the wrap. Kind of like a taco rice too but there are a choices for meat, like brisket, carne asada, chicken, etc. Pretty good and huge! So, toss up if I want to cook or just buy this.
Not brave enough to try squid ink.
v

K and S said...

ooh brisket burrito sounds ono V

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

So funny (and cute) about the black teeth. LOL.

K and S said...

Jalna, just trying to keep sane :)

Take care!
Kat

Saburo said...

We tried squid ink fried rice at a popular izakaya in Shimbashi, way back when. Didn't worry about stained teeth and taste wasn't bad either.

Hang in there!

K and S said...

Thanks Saburo!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I want to eat squid ink soba after seeing it, but a shame for the peonies - last time I bought some, they (mixed bouquet) came with powdered flower food to put into the water.

K and S said...

Rowena, the florist we usually buy from gives a packet of flower food too.

Take care.
Kat