Tuesday, January 04, 2022

how are you?

We’ve been laying low.

On New Year’s eve day, the package that Aunty M sent us in December, finally arrived. (thank you!)

Apparently, it had a 3 week "vacation" in Los Angeles...boy, it was a little nerve wracking seeing it hover in Los Angeles...

At about lunch time, we had flurries! for like 5 whole minutes.

Satoshi was not excited to see them…ha! needless to say, I was bummed there wasn't much snow after that.

After dinner, we watched a “Midnight Diner” marathon, “Kodoku no Gurume” special & the Red & White song festival.

On the first day of the year, for our osechi, I had bought mostly everything, but made some tataki gobo & namasu.

I also made some dashimaki tamago (egg with stock)
And we had this reishu...Shirakami Sanchi, a sake from Tohoku.


Instead of buying a whole daikon, I found these cute & pretty turnips called ayame yuki, that have a purple tinge on the outer flesh, I used one to make the namasu. 

Also since I had kept some yuzu peel in the freezer, I put some into the namasu.

Breakfast on the first 2 days of the new year was ozoni.

On the second day of the year, with the leftover kuromame I made some muffins with mochiko, kinako, black sesame seeds, the kuromame and some yuzu peel.

We ate 2 when it came out of the oven and I put the remaining 4 into the freezer.

I reconnected with an instant curry called Bon Curry, the neighbor of my host family had introduced me to this many many moons ago.

Today will be the first time we go outside since "last year"...the markets are open.

Hoping 2022 is off to a nice start for you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and thank you for all your posts. Looking forward for more of your adventures.

The Covid counts are doubling everyday in Tokyo! Be careful! People I know have very mild symptoms, less than a bad cold but still shocking to see how many people!
I only made kuromame and kazunoko for New Years. It was really sad, pouring rain and no one getting together. Couldn't even tell any different from another day. Hope the rest of the year gets better.

The sun is actually out today and the brightness hurts my eyes since it's been so overcast past several days.
V

K and S said...

bummer for all the rain V, hoping this year will be a good one for you!

Take care:)
Kat

jalna said...

I like your food photos. Making me hungry.

K and S said...

Thank you Jalna:)

Take care!
Kat

Saburo said...

Man, Hosokawa Takashi turned into Buddha all of a sudden!

Funny to see everybody I know in Tokyo sharing their snow images/videos. "Enjoy" it while you can!

K and S said...

snow is a novelty until you gotta shovel it, Saburo:)

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks like things are off to a good start for 2022 Kat! I really enjoy Midnight Diner too!

K and S said...

Kirk, it really is a great series for food lovers:)

Take care!
Kat