Thursday, January 20, 2022

thit kho

Have been wanting to try Kathy’s recipe for thit kho ever since I saw it on her blog, Onolicious Hawaii.

My only problem was finding coconut water.

I got lucky sometime last year when I stumbled upon a nearby food import shop and they had one serving sized boxes of coconut water!

I made half the recipe because I wasn’t too sure Satoshi would like the flavors.

Plus he doesn’t really care for pork…

This is similar to Okinawan style rafute.

Instead of hard boiled eggs, I wanted oozy, but kinda failed.

Mine came out too soft to peel to make “ajitama”, so I ended up scooping them out of the shells instead.

Still we enjoyed this.

The pork came out quite tender.

NOTES: find a pot that will keep the pork submerged while cooking.

I ended up having to turn/flip the meat throughout the cooking.

My caramel seized but I reheated it with some of the coconut water before adding it to the braising liquid.

I would also make this a day ahead so you can scrape off the fat.

I’m glad I got to try this and if I come across coconut water again , I will make this again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try this too. Was curious if coconut water makes a big difference in flavor from kakuni.

Interesting that Satoshi doesn't care for pork. I would have thought he grew up with shogayaki. Love that, I think it's one of my most favorite dish, either donburi or steak style.
v

K and S said...

V, the big difference is that instead of shoyu it uses fish sauce. Actually Satoshi grew up eating mostly fish, his parents didn't like chicken or pork.

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

Ho da ono looking!!

KirkK said...

"Mister Gyoza" doesn't like pork Kat????

Kathy said...

Hi Kat! Thanks for posting, I like that idea of serving it with the softer eggs ^_^

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna:)

Kirk, he doesn’t like the fatty parts of pork belly.

Thanks Kathy:)

Take care everyone!
Kat