Monday, March 12, 2007

foodie kind of weekend

Friday, I went to check out the Annual Bead Show at Ward Warehouse. This bead show is small compared to others, but a nice way to check out local and mainland vendors. About two years ago, I went and it was packed with people! Today, since everyone was still at work, it was nice to be able to leisurely browse. I picked up some pewter findings and a bead stopper gadget. Afterwards, I met my Aunty and cousin D for dinner. We went to Assagio's--a local Italian restaurant located in the Ala Moana Shopping Center. The food was good and we had a nice time chatting and catching up.

Saturday, my parents had a luncheon in Waikiki, so I dropped them off and took the car. I stopped in at Palama Market near Kaheka. This market caters to Korean foods and groceries. Ever since coming home, I've been craving Korean sushi or kimbap (US $3.66). This sushi has takuan (pickled radish), egg, carrots, either watercress leaves or spinach and bbq beef. The nori (seaweed) is coated with some sesame seed oil.

Paired with a bottle of tea, this lunch was perfect for sitting on a bench at Sans Souci Beach to watch the waves and the people.

As I waited for my parents to give me "the call" to pick them up, I wanted something sweet and I remembered my Aunty M telling me about Diamond Head Market & Grill having great scones (my fav!) So, I drove up the street to the market and checked out what they had. The scones looked way too big and kind of oily, so I had a package of their cookies in hand...while standing in line at the register, I noticed the refrigerated case and found this...

Okinawan sweet potato with haupia (coconut pudding) pie(US $3.66)--a mac nut crust topped with Okinawan purple sweet potato and haupia pudding. Their crust wasn't as crisp as I like it, but it was a very generous portion and the fillings were a bit too sweet. What can I say? my mom's is WAY better!

Still, I enjoyed this dessert while looking at a glimpse of Diamond Head through the trees. Thank goodness they called after eating this dessert or else who knows what else I might have bought to eat or drink!

Tonight for our weekly Sunday dinner, mom made hoisin sauce (Chinese barbeque sauce) ribs. I really like this dish--meaty and the sauce is delicious!

Dessert was a pie from Anna Miller's, this restaurant is known for their pies and I hear they even have a restaurant in Japan! Cousin D picked out a strawberry-haupia pie, it was freshly made but hadn't quite set yet, so it was a bit soft, but the crust was really good and the pie still tasted delicious!

Whew! lots of eating the past couple of days...hope you had a nice weekened and have a great week!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got me at the korean sushi...OMG that closeup pic just makes me...nuts! But the icing on the cake (or should I say, the pie), is the strawberry haupia pie. I will have to come up with a recipe for that!

K and S said...

I know you'll be able to re-create the pie, Rowena! Hope you had a nice weekend!

Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

i always wished that maki would have less rice and more "stuffing." maybe i'm korean at heart? :)

K and S said...

you just may be, Bourgogne, you just may be!

Enjoy California!
Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Tytka and thanks for stopping by.

Take care.
Kat