Tuesday, March 20, 2007

nanding's

Well, it is the last week of my "vacation"...sigh. I've only been home for 9 weeks, but I have accumulated some stuff! Thank goodness Satoshi came and took most of it home. My aunty will also be coming to Japan in April and has been asked to take a box for me too...What did I buy? coffee, tea, other food items, BOOKS and magazines!..you would think that Japan doesn't have these things? They do, but they are sometimes REALLY costly.

For the most part of my "vacation", I've been seeing my friends, visiting with family, helping around the house and driving my parents around. We don't have a car in Japan, so this is my chance to get in ALL of my driving until my next visit.

Like I've said previously, Hawaii has a diverse culture and when you crave a certain cuisine you can probably find it. This morning on a local program they featured a local bakery, Nanding's Bakery. This bakery makes Filipino treats. My mom and I oohed and aahed at what was shown.

Luckily, we had an errand to run in town, so we made a detour to this bakery. Unfortunately, the hype that started from the program had sold most of their items out by the time we got there.

My mom was only able to get a few items--ube loaf and ensemadas.

The ube loaf might actually be mongo loaf, because it tasted like it had sweet bean paste inside instead of purple sweet potato filling. The bread is so soft and fluffy--it was like eating air.

The ensemadas were labeled ube (purple sweet potato) and macapuno (coconut), but all were ube. This buttery roll is topped with a good slather of butter and sugar. When you chew, there is a kind of crunch to it as you eat the sugar crystals mixed in with the soft buttery top. I think I would have preferred it without the ube....still, I'm gonna miss all of this.

Nanding's Bakery
918 Gulick Avenue
Honolulu
Phone: 808.841.4731

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna miss your "hawaii eats" most of all Kat. How time flies by when you're chowing down on great grindz!

Satoshi has got style I must say...ordering both loco moco and eggs benedict?!! Way to go is what I say! That portion of the post alone made me just want to up and start fixing a loco moco for myself...uhm, which I did. hehe

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! Your loco moco must have been delish!

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Cool another Filipino bakery! Those items are similar to the bakery I told you about in Waipahu. I know they were talking about opening the same type of bakery in Kalihi. Hum? I wonder if this is the one. In any case, I am going to miss your Hawaii eateries. Have a safe trip back to Japan and hope to see you soon. Take care and God Bless!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura!

Hope you get out and about too.
Take care.
Kat

Melting Wok said...

Wow, great vacation !! :) Have to take note here, to slowly enjoy my 2 months vacation when I go back this Sept. hehe, thx for sharing all the wonderful pix. and great food :)

K and S said...

Enjoy your vacation, Melting Wok!
Take care.

Kat