Monday, March 26, 2007

odds & ends

Just thought I'd tidy up a few odds & ends before returning back to Osaka by telling you a few cultural things experienced while here in Hawaii.

There is a new smoking law--no smoking in restaurants or bars and a person smoking must be 20 feet from an exit of any establishment. I thought it was kind of sad that these guys had to gather on the median at the airport in order to have a puff, but am glad that I don't have to deal with cigarette smoke while eating at an eatery--something I really hate having to tolerate in Japan.

The excise tax on Oahu has gone up from 4.166% to 4.712%...that really takes its toll when buying big items. They are trying to save up some $$ with this increase to get a monorail system built on Oahu. I don't really see how their plan will work by eliminating the airport and UH (the university) as stops. Plus, if it is an elevated rail, it will take away what little sky we can see between the skyscraper condos and buildings.

Will the force be with you? Maybe, if you entrust R2-D2 with your mail...the postal system has put out several of these cuties at cities around the U.S. in conjunction with a new promotion that is coming out on March 28. This one was in front of the post office in Downtown.

Well, my vacation has come to an end. It was great being home, hanging with my parents, relatives and friends...Making new ones and re-connecting with some...Trying new places to eat and revisiting favorites. I can't wait to get back into my kitchen and start up my adventures in Japan...see ya!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

An increase in the excise tax? News to me, although you're right, I don't see how it would help to not include the airport and UH on the circuit line.

The R2D2's are cute although my first thought was if anyone would try to steal them. Probably not being that they must weigh a lot, and isn't a major crime if you mess with the postal system? {heh heh} Any culprit fool enough to try will definitely need the Force with them!

Have a great flight back to Japan!! It was great hearing about "home" through your blog. :-)

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat! Glad you had a great time while you were "home". Have a safe trip back to Japan. Look forward to hearing about your new adventures. Take care and God Bless!

K and S said...

Only on Oahu, Rowena, so that is probably why you didn't know about it. I think Star War collectors have their eye on these cuties, but are too afraid of the consequences.

Thanks Laura!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip home, Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Ivonne!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home, Kat!
I haven't had much time reading your blog lately, but I am going to catch all up. :)

K and S said...

Thanks Sue! I know you must be busy with moving and all!

Take care.
Kat