Wednesday, March 14, 2007

agnes' bakeshop

One of the cool things about growing up in Hawaii is the diverse cultures and cuisines. Most times, if you crave something, you'll almost always be able to find it somewhere on the island.

Before the internet and blogs, most establishments were known by "word of mouth" or from info in the newspapers.

Since we had an appointment in Kailua, we decided to check out a Portuguese bakery my mom had heard about that made great malasadas.

We investigated in the phone book to get the address, then looked in our pocket map and went to check out Agnes' Bakeshop. Now, if you check out their website, they boast "the best malasadas", we decided that since we weren't going to eat what we bought right away, we would have to try their malasadas another day.

The assortment that we picked up were (top row) 3 scones, (middle row) a brownie, (bottom row) their bread pudding and a walnut sticky bun...Everything was delicious! I love Hawaii!

Agnes' Bakeshop (UPDATE: 2018 no longer in business)
46 Ho'olai Street
Kailua
Phone: 808.262.5367
Closed on Mondays

5 comments:

CM said...

I just discovered your blog and love it very much!!!

You need to check out this show:
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/listings/shows07_02.html#17

Gambatte!
Christoph

Anonymous said...

Agnes'!!!! If I remember correctly, the guy that works for us at the bakery also worked for Agnes before moving to Kauai. The location (Kailua) rings a bell.... Everything looks so ONOLICIOUS! That's the thing I miss about the islands...the type of pastries to be had. Here it's more european of course so I do miss my malassada fix and bread pudding cravings every now and then. Sometimes it's more fun to get out and buy it then to stay home and make it!

K and S said...

Thanks for stopping by Christoph! I'll check out the show that you recommended as soon as I answer your comment!

Ooh, you know someone that used to work there...Cool Rowena! I think it is fun to go out and buy sometimes rather than try to make it.

Take care you two.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat! I love this bakeshop. My friend brings me some scones once in awhile. BTW did you ever try Boot's and Kimo's in Kailua? It's right across the Pali Bowling Center. You know you are in the right place because if you see DENVER BRONCOS memorabilia all over the restaurant. They make the most ONOLICIOUS pancakes covered with the Macadamia Butter Sauce. The pulehu meat is ono too!

BOOTS & Kimo’s Homestyle Kitchen
119 Hekilli Kailua Hawaii ph 808.263.7929

Hope you get a chance to go there. Take care!

K and S said...

Haven't tried these places in Kailua, but will make note to give them a try the next time I'm down there, Laura!

Take care.
Kat