Tuesday, March 13, 2007

nico's & kaffe imperial

Today was my cousin D's last day here before returning to the mainland. We got together with her co-worker, H and H's sister, A for brunch--they had been vacationing on Kauai for the past two weeks and had a two hour lay-over before catching their flight.

Brunch was at Nico's and unlike my experience here at lunch, which I posted about (here). It was really nice and quiet. I had the fish omlette, which was the catch of the day (ahi-tuna) cubed and seasoned with garlic salt and other spices then folded into an omlette with green onions. Very filling with two scoops of rice. (sorry no photos!)

After dropping H and A at the airport, D and I went holo-holo(roaming around). We checked out Wholesale Unlimited--a great place for local snacks.

Dinner was D's choice and was picked according to Honolulu Magazine's Best of issue. She chose her favorite, chicken katsu(chicken cutlet) and we tried a place noted in the magazine called Kaffe Imperial.

In recent years, I've started writing down where I've eaten and what I've eaten, and since this restaurant has been around since 1992, I think I may have actually tried this place before. The katsu was deep fried but not greasy and it was very crispy too, something that only katsu from Japan can usually accomplish. She agreed that the katsu was good.

It was nice visiting with my cousin and I hope she enjoyed herself too. Living far apart from family can be rough at times, but it makes getting together, times to savor.

Kaffe Imperial (UPDATE: this shop is no longer in business)
725 Kapiolani Blvd, C-112
Honolulu
Phone: 808.593.2626

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds ono Kat! Looking at the enlargement of the katsu as I type this....sigh...boy does that look good!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! Tonkatsu is best in Japan, but I've only seen chicken katsu here.

Take care.
Kat