Friday, October 24, 2008

kinoko and kaki

It is mushroom season here. The supermarkets are filled with all sorts of different kinoko (mushrooms).

Satoshi had to work on Saturday, so I made dinner. I used to meet him in Umeda for dinner, but his job doesn't always end on time, and sometimes I would have to wait until 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm, so instead of waiting around for him to finish, I started making dinner so that I can eat when I was hungry.

Saturday's dinner was beer clams...except that I used white wine and added some maitake (hen of woods) mushrooms. I served them on toasted french bread. (The best part was dipping the toasted bread into the sauce...)

I also made some carrot cucumber salad and marinated some red onion and red bell pepper in the mustard seed vinaigrette.

Monday's dinner was adapted from the French Market.

Pork with eringi and porcini mushrooms (Serves 2)
213 grams (7.5 ounces) thinly sliced pork
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 eringi mushrooms, thinly sliced
handful of dried porcini mushrooms, reconstituted, saving some of the mushroom "juice" (strained)
pinch of dried garlic slices
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
flat leaf parsley

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the thinly slice pork.
In another pan, heat the other tablespoon of oil and add the mushrooms.
Cook the mushrooms for about 4 minutes then add the vinegar and garlic.
Add the mushroom mixture to the pork after the pork is no longer pink.
Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with flat leaf.

Serve on toasted french bread (again dipping the bread in the sauce was the best!).

Simple and delicious.

It is also kaki (persimmon) season here. Recently my MIL gave us 3 bambucha (huge) kaki...each was about 300 grams (about 10 ounces).

Actually, I've never purchased kaki in the supermarkets because I didn't really like them. I think I've had persimmon in the past that was not ripe and really hard.

But after eating them over the past couple of days, they sort of reminded me of ripened papaya. I'll try picking some up the next time I'm in the supermarket.

We've started the weekend early here, be back to tell you about it soon.

26 comments:

s. said...

your blog is simply great!
all the flavors, colors and travel!
thank you so much for sharing

Jenster said...

They all look oishi! I love mushrooms, all kinds. One of my favorite way to prepare is simply to saute them in olive oil and garlic. The smell and taste is heavenly.

You know, I don't think I've ever had a fresh persimmon before. I've only had dried, which I didn't like. You've inspired me to look for them next time I go grocery shopping.

genkitummy said...

Everything you cooked looks delicious! I love mushrooms and persimmons! But I don't think they sell them in the Midwest. :(

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! said...

I REALLY LIKED UR BLOG...
WELL I´M JAPANESE SO IT´S REALLY COOL U R TALKING ABOUT UR TRIP IN JAPAN
XOXO

Mr.chic said...

It's a really good poto story. and always ~your happy day. bye~

Maki said...

kaki, kaki and kaki~~~!!! There is nothing like oyster in Japan. And it's the best season now to eat them. Gosh, I hate you guys, but then love you guys at the same time!! How lucky! Please enjoy all the food for me!!!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your mushroom dishes look and sound delicious. I have never been a huge persimmon fan either but I am not sure I know how to find a really good one.

OkiHwn said...

Rarely get clams that size here!

Anonymous said...

I have to work with some enoki mushrooms while I'm here. They are the only ones that I miss not having in Italy. As for the persimmons...we are certainly enjoying them right now too! Oh, regarding your comment on the hike...yeah, those nuts are the ones who cost island taxpayers so much $$$ when they get into trouble.

Rashai said...

Love your site, nice photos, yummy foods, beautiful places..
Can I link your blog?

Arigato..

Jennifer said...

Three of the foods I haven't ate in a long time xP
beer clams, persimmons, and mushrooms @___@

Chris P. said...

Hi Kat. There are 3 different kinds of persimmon, at least 2 of which are common. They have very different tastes as one is astringent and should only be eaten when very very ripe. The non-astringent variety is more the shape of a tomato and can be eaten while still firm. Apparently the Japanese have names for these 2 varieties (I had to look this part up), Hachiya for the astringent and Fuyu for the non-astringent.

Thanks for the great blog, always makes me hungry.

Unknown said...

Your blog makes me so hungry! I love mushrooms ... are you able to go out and pick them yourself or do you get them strictly from the grocer? My area has a great variety of mushrooms, including many edible varieties. I love to hunt for them but ... mostly I just take their picture.

I've never tried a persimmon ... will have to watch for them.

Have a great weekend!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

"hi"
The food looks delicious.
I love kaki -- happen to have eaten any okonomiyaki?

Phoebe said...

mushrooms are so delicious when you know how to use them in certain dishes! YuM!

Aww persimmons!! I love them too! We have a tree in the garden that produces sweets delicious ones but before it starts ripening the birds come to eat it!

Even though it might be a little unripe, try putting it on the counter top not too near from the window, and let it sit there for a few days until it ripens a little, Kat. It will taste better.

Rachael Hutchings said...

I'm a HUGE kaki fan! (Plus, aren't they pretty?) You hardly ever see them in the markets here. I've recently been researching them and have discovered that they supposedly grow very well in Southern California. So, I think I will be planting a bit of Japan in our backyard!

sesto callende said...

what a great blog! looking forward to more food tales and tips.

cheers!

K and S said...

Thanks for your great comments everyone!

Jenster, hope you get to try fresh persimmon :)
Deb, maybe your CSA will give you one in your box soon :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Earnest Makes Run said...

That Cucumber, Onion and pepper dish looks awesome. I want it.

K and S said...

Thanks Earnest Makes Run, it is a simple salad.

Take care.
Kat

mikim0to said...

i love it. ALL OF IT! everything looks so sinfully succulent.

K and S said...

Thanks mikim0to!

Take care.
Kat

9-1.com said...

Hi,
i like your blog!
i'm studying advertising and planning an ad campaign for a Japan tour.
If you are interested in, please visit our blog. but still we didn't post so much...
Would you use tour package if you wanna go to Japan?

K and S said...

Hi 9-1.com, I think that if it is your first time to Japan and have lots to see, then a tour package may be one of the better ways to get around. On the other hand, if you like to roam around and like to be on your own schedule then maybe buying the Japan Rail Pass and booking your own accommodations would be another option.
Hope this helps.

Take care.
Kat

Admin said...

What about Japanese food , kinoko?? i guest very taste
http://www.site4women.blogspot.com

K and S said...

Not sure what you mean y@nti'r? Thanks for stopping by.

Take care.
Kat