Thursday, January 29, 2009

kim chee chige

It has been really cold the past couple of days. This past Saturday we finally had some flurries but nothing that stayed frozen. (I was still excited by it though...crazy girl from Hawaii!)

I've been in a soupy mood but am sort of getting tired of miso or tomato based soups, so I tried something new.

Kim chee chige. A hot pot of veggies, pork and kim chee.

I surfed the internet and combined a little of this with that and this is what I came up with.

Kim Chee Chige : four servings or less depending on the size of your bowl

6 slices pork belly, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 eringi mushroom, sliced on the angle
1/2 carrot, unpeeled and sliced on the angle
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 shironegi (leek), sliced on the angle, including the green part
1 gobo (burdock), sliced on the angle
100 grams won bok kim chee
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
3 cups water
1 teaspoon miso (soy bean paste)
2 teaspoons shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon sesame oil

After preparing all the veggies and pork, put the pork and yellow onion into a pot to brown.
Add sake to deglaze, scrape bits off bottom.
Add water and veggies.
Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add miso, shoyu & sesame oil.
Add kim chee.
Serve over rice or with rice on the side.

NOTES: Okay, so it still had some miso in it and I don't think this would be considered "true Korean cuisine", but this soup had a lot of flavor. I ate this with rice in my bowl and some Korean nori on the side. I will definitely be making this again, especially since Satoshi (who doesn't like Korean food) said it was "oishii" (delicious).

p.s. You can use what vegetables are available where you are. Also, if you want to make it hotter, you may want to add some ground Korean chili pepper.

I will also be sending this to Deb for her Souper Sundays, her round-up is posted every Sunday! Check it out or if you have a soup recipe, add it to her round-up.

Wow, the week has flown by, hope you have a great weekend!

20 comments:

Phoebe said...

Looks good! And spicy....hahaha...looks a little like ton yum soup. Where do you think I can find a good kim chee recipe? Know any, Kat?

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Oooh, I love Korean food (loved it in Korea, too!) and this DOES sound oishii! I'm sure if I had it I'd agree with Satoshi.

This Florida girl loves flurries, too, I just can't help myself. I didn't even see snow at all till I was 18, so I have to make up for it now with lots of excitement. When we went for a walk round the neighborhood the other day, Stephen thought I was nuts for taking pictures of a teeny bit of snow on some decorative purple cabbages at our neighbors' house. He was pretty hazukashii!

K and S said...

You could look at My Korean Kitchen, she has some recipes on there, Phoebe.

Ooh Abigail, you had Korean food in Korea, that is cool! Satoshi would never go there with me :) Yeah, I always try to take pics of the flurries and end up with flecks of white and nothing that looks like snow :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I'm still wanting to try that recipe for kim chee gyoza that you posted a long time ago. Everytime I needed an ingredient, there was always a wait (mainly it was the napa cabbage so that I could make the kim chee in the first place). Now I couldn't find minced pork at my most recent trip to the market. Grrrr...

Next week for sure. Even if I gotta mince the pork myself. I better stop eating the kim chee...heh heh...

K and S said...

you can do cucumbers and radish for kim chee too, Rowena, hope the market has ground pork for you.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful for a cold day.

LOL! You were excited about flurries? I wish I could send you the small snow storm we had here on Wednesday -- snow, sleet, and then rain. Ugh! For me, the snow is only nice when I'm home and can look at it from my window and don't have to travel in it. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

Thanks Paz, sorry to hear you had such bad weather, I know I get excited about snow, but I think if it were a snowstorm I probably would be scared to walk in it!!

Take care.
Kat

Chibog in Chief said...

I must admit that I never had the courage to taste kimchee despite my loves them...your soup looks hot and spicy! perfect for cold days!

K and S said...

I guess it is an acquired taste, Dhanggit, I hope you get a chance to try it some time :)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Think I'll make some kim chee this weekend.

grace said...

i love kimchee jigae - perfect for a cold evening and fills you up. i like using kim chee that's close to on its way out, if you know what i mean. the more fermented it is, the more flavor it adds to the soup. delicious.

K and S said...

Sounds good Nate :)

Ooh, I'll have to remember that Grace, thanks for sharing that bit of info.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - The main thing is that's it's oishii! Sounds like it'll really warm you up.

K and S said...

Thanks Kirkk :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Sounds delicious--spicy and good. With the miso and kim chee just call it Asian Fusion! I'll add it to the round-up on Sunday!

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, your round-ups have so much variety!!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Great idea for something new, I would definitely eat that up!

K and S said...

Thanks Lori :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

yup I know what I am having for dinner now. Got a ton of Kim chee in the fridge. will sub tofu for pork.

K and S said...

I hope you like this Hanoura :)

Take care.
Kat