Thursday, November 19, 2015

akakabu pickles

The other day at the market we came across akakabu (red turnips). If I'm not mistaken this variety is usually found in the Northern parts of Japan.

Satoshi likes these as tsukemono (pickles), so I bought one to try making some.

When I cut it, I was surprised by the light pink and white insides.

I used this recipe and doubled it. In place of the salt I instead used a seasoned salt (salt, rosemary, chili, parsley and oregano).

I put everything into a ziploc bag and let it sit in the refridge for a couple of hours.

I love the deep pinkish color.

We tried this with breakfast the next day and these passed the Satoshi test.

If I come across akakabu at the market again, I'm making this.

6 comments:

K and S said...

Jalna, nice yeah the color?!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

purty in pink! love the idea of pickles for breakfast too, oh and I finally tried the peanut nishime but had to settle with roasted peanuts because never found the raw kind -- needless to say, roasted peanuts just don't cut it, but it was an interesting experience all the same!

K and S said...

bummer on the peanuts Rowena, if you have halal stores nearby, that is where I found raw peanuts, you might be able to find some there as well:)

Take care:)
Kat

KirkK said...

Love the colors Kat!

K and S said...

me too Kirk!

Take care:)
Kat

K said...

What a pretty pink color!