Thursday, April 20, 2017

sakura gohan

If you've ever wanted to bring home Japan with you and like the flavor of sakura (cherry blossoms), I would suggest getting some sakura hanazuke.

It is also called sakura shiozuke.

It is hard to describe the flavor, but I can tell you it isn't like sour cherries nor American cherry flavors.

Depending on which brand you buy...the size varies and I would assume the price too.

This one cost me about 400 yen (tax included) is about 40 grams and is from Kanagawa.

The sakura is packed in salt.

Be sure to wash off the salt before using.

This is one I received from a friend a couple years back and is from Nara and was about 50 grams.

To make sakura gohan...2 servings.

1 cup rice
4-5 sakura flowers

Soak your flowers for about ten minutes to remove some of the salt.
Cook your rice according to your rice cooker.
Drain and chop up the flowers.
After the rice is cooked, add most of the chopped flowers and mix with your shamoji (rice paddle).
With the remaining chopped flowers, garnish when serving.

NOTES: The only thing about this type of sakura is that it can only be found during Spring. Most stores do not carry it year round. This recipe is super easy and a nice way to enjoy a taste of Japan's Spring.

6 comments:

jalna said...

Hey, the kanji for sakura is so cool! Easy to remember that one, yah!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea! I always look for this when I go to Japan. I was only using them in sake, umeshu and tea, but this sounds good! When you posted earlier about sakura rice, I thought you cooked the sakura with the rice too.
v

K and S said...

easy to remember Jalna :)

I actually tried cooking it with the rice, V, but didn't have much flavor that way, so I liked using it as more of a "furikake" style.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Very interesting Kat!

K and S said...

different Kirk but delicious :)

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

I hope you will get a chance to try this one day Rowena :)

Take care!
Kat