Sunday, May 12, 2019

shakuyaku

I discovered shakuyaku (chinese peony) last year when I received one for the first time from the post office.

(I thought I blogged about it but guess I didn't).

I wasn't too sure what the reason was that they were passing them out, but I was happy to receive one.

It had a spicy fragrance and was really bright pink!

About this time of year is when you see them in the flower shops.

I went to my favorite shop in the neighborhood and bought myself one.

Most flower shops sell these for 600-yen plus! for one stem!

At my favorite shop, they were only 200 yen (tax included)!

I thought it wouldn't bloom, but it turned out, really pretty and HUGE!

Do you have shakuyaku where you live?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

whaaa? the post office gives out flowers? interesting!
this has got to be one of the most beautiful flowers. how long does the bloom last?
v

K and S said...

it didn't last too long V, maybe 2 or 3 days after it bloomed.

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I don't see them much around here or it could be that I just never took notice. I'd love to try to grow them but I think it's a large bush-type plant?

K and S said...

Rowena, I think you are right about it being a large bush type of plant.

Jalna, it was :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Very pretty Kat! We don't get the cold temps we need to grow peonies around these parts; though I think folks might have hybrids

K and S said...

Kirk, I wonder what kinds of hybrids are out there!

Take care.
Kat