Tuesday, January 26, 2021

daimatsu

Checked out a new (to me) wagashiya (Japanese confection shop), Daimatsu today. (photo from Google Maps)
I'm not sure how long this shop has been in business but it was run by an older woman.

One thing I noticed about most wagashiya in Kanto (East Japan) is that they don't only sell sweets, but savory items like inarizushi, musubi even sekihan (red bean rice).

I purchased a couple of inarizushi for us to try as well as a salmon musubi for Satoshi and yukari (shiso) musubi for myself.
The inarizushi wasn't sweet more vinegary.

I enjoyed the yukari musubi.

The owner also asked if I would like some takuan.

We also shared this mikan (tangerine) daifuku.
A whole mikan wrapped in sweetened white bean paste and a very soft outer gyuhi (soft mochi).

I cut the daifuku horizontally with a piece of dental floss...so pretty yeah?!
This wasn't overly sweet and there were no seeds.

Total for everything was 590 yen (tax included)....I'll be back to purchase other items for us to try.

Daimatsu
5-11-22 Nishikamata
Ota, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3738.7450
Closed Wednesdays
Hours: 6:30-18:30

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep drooling over your musubi. I think I have to run across the street to buy a couple from Maona, except 2 will cost about $5!

I'm intrigued by that mikan daifuku, and even more that you cut it with floss. I would have thought all the juice would drip all over and make a mess. Everything looks so ono
v

jalna said...

I'm so jealous right now. LOL.

K and S said...

I thought cutting it with the floss would be messy too V, surprised me though.

Take care!
Kat

K and S said...

lol Jalna:)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

That looks quite good Kat!