Wednesday, February 01, 2023

shinagawa yakiimo terrace

The last time I went to this event was just as the pandemic was starting up in 2020

This year you had to buy an entrance ticket for 500 yen which they were pre-selling online.

Choose a time and date that you wanted to attend...11:00-13:00, 13:30-15:30, 16:00-18:00, Wednesday (2/1) to Sunday (2/5).

I chose Wednesday at 11:00-13:00.

I was happy that I could pay for this with my mobile payment account.

The check-in desk opened at 10:30, they checked our QR codes then had us stand in another line until 11:00 when the event opened.

We had to put this sticker on so they knew we had checked in (photo above).

You should know that there are two types of roasting textures…hokuhoku which is flaky and can be a little dry. The other type is nettori which is wet and sticky.

In the past all roasted potatoes were the hokuhoku type, but recently new varieties have popped up and when roasted they are nettori.

For this event, there are 15 vendors.

First stop, Souunmitsuimo, a shop from Okayama.

This yakiimo had so much "sugar" coming out of it!

This variety was nettori and super sweet...800 yen tax included

Next, Higeshoten, a shop from Fukui. 

They had a variety called Tomitsu. 

I purchased their Tomitsu beniimo…500 yen, not as sweet as Souunmitsuimo, but still sweet and hokuhoku.

My last stop was Kobe Imoya Shinomoto, a shop from Kobe. 

They had an original variety called Satoura Gold…600 yen tax included 

This variety was slightly sweet and hokuhoku

Mitsuharuka…700 yen tax included 

This variety was sweet and nettori.

I’m glad I was able to purchase the varieties I wanted.

It was the first time for us to try these varieties.

I put most of these into the freezer for us to enjoy in the coming weeks.

I hadn't noticed before but noticed today that you can see Tokyo Tower from this park.

Since most of the other vendors are from areas near Tokyo, I'll check them out in the future.


6 comments:

Rowena said...

ooooh...there is nothing more exciting to a gardener than to see the words 'new' and 'varieties' side by side. I was wondering if they also sold them unroasted? so you can take them home to store? I want to start gardening already!

Anonymous said...

oh shucks, it's a seasonal event. I love yakiimo but didn't know they can be frozen. I was thinking it was sad that you pay entry, stand in line and can only buy several because how much can you eat.
Seems like here in Hawaii, only has the purple or the satsuma but I love them both.
v

jalna said...

I just love sweet potatoes.

K and S said...

Rowena, at this event they only sold the cooked potatoes, the supermarkets sell the unroasted ones :)

V, yes you can freeze, some people say it gets sweeter when you freeze the roasted ones.

Jalna, me too :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

The Missus would go crazy at an event like this Kat!

K and S said...

Kirk I definitely think the Missus would enjoy this.

Take care.
Kat