Monday, April 13, 2009

kyoto

Saturday we went to Kyoto to visit my MIL. The sakura (cherry blossom) were in full bloom and we knew that she hadn't been out to see them yet.

The temperature was high maybe 25C (77F) or 26C (78.8F), the sun was blazing, but at least there was a slight breeze.

We had intentions of going to the botanical garden, but after seeing all the trees along the Kamogawa (Kamo River) in full bloom, we ended up walking along the river up to the Kamigamo Shrine.

The trees along a portion of the Kamogawa were shidarezakura (weeping cherry). They have a trellis built near each tree so as to make a "tunnel" of cherry blossoms...really beautiful.

On another portion of the river, the trees were huge and were making their own "tunnel"...at times there were wispy winds which created sakura fubuki (a "blizzard" of cherry petals).

When we reached Kamigamo Shrine, there were many people having picnics around the cherry trees. I think most of these cherry trees are old, so they had them roped off. I have also heard that when people step on the roots of the trees it damages the tree. (I guess kind of like when someone steps on your foot.)

There was a huge shidarezakura (weeping cherry) near the entrance of the shrine's grounds.

Walking back, we walked on the opposite side of the river. This side didn't have many cherry trees, but it was a great view. I loved the reflection of the cherry trees in the river.

Also in many parts of the river you could see an accumulation of cherry petals letting you know that the cherry blossom season would be over soon...beautiful yet kind of sad.

My MIL said she had a nice day. She said she was actually feeling a little depressed before we came. I'm glad we got to spend some time with her.

13 comments:

Lori said...

That was so nice of you to visit your MIL and take her out to see the beautiful sakura. Happy Easter!

K and S said...

Happy Easter Lori :)

Take care.
Kat

Lynne said...

Hi Kat. I think I recall you writing your MIL had not gone out very often since the passing of her husband? I am glad she was able to enjoy herself with you today. I loved the photos and your description of them sound just absolutely beautiful. I am glad you had a good time with family today. God Bless!

Barbara said...

Beautiful blossoms, Happy Easter Kat and Satoshi.

Deb in Hawaii said...

How nice you could spend the day with your MIL and what a beautiful way to spend it too!

2kamuela47 said...

Beautiful! Love Sakura!

K and S said...

Thank you Lynne, I hope you had a nice Easter :)

Thank you Barbara, Happy Easter to you too :)

Thank you Deb, I am glad we were able to spend some time with her and take in the sakura too :)

Thank you Laura, I hope you had a nice Easter.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Gar said...

i miss Kyoto's sakura so much. I love to walk through Gion and than enjoy some sakura blossoms as I walk around the park.

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to come back to visit during cherry blossom season Gar :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

25°C!!! We're averaging around 19° but the main thing is just to have sun instead of more rain (for now anyway). The sakura are just gorgeous!

K and S said...

I'll take the sun and some rain Rowena but not looking forward to the humidity :0

Take care.
Kat

manju said...

That tunnel of blossoms must have been amazing to walk through. And I love the term "sakura fubuki" -- it's so descriptive of what it's like when the blossoms shower down on you! I love learning new things like that.

K and S said...

Thanks Manju, walking through the tunnels were really beautiful, and the fubuki is also something to experience too. I am glad that we can learn from each other's experiences.

Take care.
Kat