Saturday, April 04, 2009

more recipes from ellie

I tried these recipes last month....the "Peach French Toast Bake"...I should have soaked the french bread overnight like the recipe said, but I didn't want to bake it in the morning (not much time on a weekday morning).

So, the french toast was on the hard side (the egg mixture hadn't soaked all the way through), but was still tasty. I garnished with fresh strawberries instead of baking with the frozen peaches as the recipe calls for. Serving size is only one slice, so I also added a thin slice of ham.

I also tried the "Spaghetti with Turkey Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce", but instead of the spicy tomato sauce, I used her "Easy Tomato Sauce" recipe.

My market doesn't have ground turkey, so I used ground chicken. I didn't have whole wheat bread to make bread crumbs, so I added a teaspoon of ground flax seed. I also made the meatballs really tiny and put them under the broiler for 20 minutes, instead of the 10 minutes that the recipes suggests...the meatballs were very flavorful and the sauce was tasty and easy to put together.

With 2 leftover meatballs and some sauce, I cut each meatball in half, toasted them on an English muffin with a cheese slice.

More great meals and recipes.

4 comments:

Coconut Girl Connie said...

uuuhhh, looks ono-licious, I love how you create awesome possibilities out of the basics.

K and S said...

Thanks CGC :) I owe it all to Ellie Krieger's recipes!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

You are just cooking the heck out that coookbook--I love that! Now I am craving English Muffin "pizza" with those meatballs!

K and S said...

Her photos really make me "crave" the food, Deb, plus you know it is healthy. I hope you make the english muffin pizzas :)

Take care.
Kat