Friday, April 17, 2009

maguro no kakuni

After eating this seasoned maguro in Wakayama a couple of years ago, I have been looking around for a recipe to re-create it.

Luckily, there was a recipe in a cookbook I have called "Soshoku no susume: O-bento recipes" by Hideo Makuuchi.

The recipe is easy and doesn't take much time. My maguro didn't turn out as dark as the one I tried but it was still delicious.

Here is the recipe if you'd like to give it a try:
Maguro (tuna) red part 300 grams (about 10.5 ounces)
Ginger 2 nubs, sliced thinly

Sauce:
Dashi (stock) 1/3 cups
sake (rice wine) 1/3 cups
shoyu (soy sauce) 3 tablespoons
mirin (sweet rice wine) 1-1/3 tablespoons

Cut the maguro into 3 centimeter cubes, pour some hot water over it to get rid of the oil of the fish.

Put the sauce together and bring to a boil. Add the maguro and ginger.
Cover with an oshibuta (drop-lid) and cook on medium heat until all the liquid evaporates.

NOTES:I got impatient and didn't wait for the sauce to disappear but it still tasted delicious. I will definitely make this again it is great for bento (lunches) as well as fillings for musubi (rice balls).

Gosh the week flew by (again!), hope you have a great weekend!

7 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

Sounds like a great recipe. Must try this one too!

K and S said...

I hope you like it Laura :)

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Hope you like this Shay.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum--this looks really good. I love ll the ginger in it!

K and S said...

Yes the ginger added a lot of flavor to this dish Deb :)

Take care.
Kat

Lori said...

I love dishes that have all those little pieces of ginger!

K and S said...

Thanks Lori, I hope you get a chance to try this recipe.

Take care.
Kat