Wednesday, December 22, 2010

taco soup

In January, I threw together a chili soup.

Then the other day, one of my Twitter friends tweeted about making taco soup.

It is definitely soup weather here so I threw a taco soup together too.

Kat's Taco Soup

150 grams hamburger
1/2 tablespoon oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 taco mix packet (I used McCormick's Hot)
1 can diced tomatoes
2.5 cups water
72 grams garlic and herb cream cheese

Brown your hamburger in the oil with the onions and red bell pepper.
Add the water, taco mix, can of tomatoes and carrot.
Add the cream cheese when your carrots get soft or to the tenderness that you like, I like mine with a little crunch.
The cream cheese will melt into the soup and thicken it up a bit.
Serve with tortilla chips.

NOTES: This was so easy and delicious. I think if you make this thicker (less water), you could use it as a topping for nachos. I didn't add any salt as the seasoning packet & cheese have lots already.

p.s. I'm sending this to Deb for her Souper Sundays, a great event with soups, salads & sammies.

11 comments:

Jude said...

Ooh, I don't think I've used a McCormick's taco mix packet since I was a little kid! This sounds like so much fun to make...and a bit nostalgic too (I had soo many tacos when I was younger, and it's been too long since I had a good proper homemade one :))

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

this looks delicious! Yum! Can't wait to try and make it

K said...

Yum this recipe sounds delicious- I've been ALL about soups and stews lately with this weather!

K and S said...

I usually try to make my own spice mixes because of preservatives in the pre-made ones, Jude, but I noticed this one in my pantry, so I figured I should use it up.

Hope you like it Erika & K.

Take care everyone.
Kat

jalna said...

Definitely a must-try!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm... this looks spicy and good--very warming. Let me know if you want to share it at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

K and S said...

hope you like it Jalna :)

Thanks, I'll do that Debinhawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Ooooh...I like the idea of garlic-herb cream cheese as a thickener and the spicyness to warm you up. I'm guessing that it's cold right now for you!

K and S said...

We have a brand called Kiri here Rowena that makes a garlic herb cream cheese, I'm sure it is easy enough to make up your own version too. I used the cream cheese because the expiry was past.

Still no flurries, but the weather is cold, though today was like 14C.

Take care.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

thanks for the recipe! i think i'll be making this once I get back to cold and chilly nyc! ^_^

K and S said...

Hope you like it Kathy!

Take care.
Kat