Wednesday, January 18, 2012

school lunch

I recently came across this building on my walk.

This is where they make the school lunches for all the public schools in Ikeda. (Apparently there is one for Minoo, where we live too)

I previously wrote about Satoshi's school lunch experience here.

Satoshi also told me that usually during elementary school, their homeroom teacher teaches all their subjects, so they never move from class to class.

Then in middle and high school, the teachers move from class to class and the students just stay put in their seats.

I don't know that I would be able to stay in my classroom for classes then for lunch too.

The students also have to clean their classrooms after school everyday, which shocked me.

He asked me, "so who cleans your classrooms?" I replied, "the janitor", which shocked him.

Did you have to clean your classroom while going to school?

14 comments:

jalna said...

So interesting Kat. Makes me wonder what school is like in other countries.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yeah, that is sure a different method of education! I never had to clean my classroom, nor did my kids! I think the boys had to have lunchroom duty occasionally and wipe down the tables, but that was good training for home :)

K said...

How interesting! I remember being responsible for cleaning up items at the end of the class/day but not an actual full room!

Anonymous said...

So interesting and educative post. I am not shocked at all. In fact, I like it. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Japanese people are so disciplined...I wish Americans were so disciplined and hard-working.


Sandy

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - We had to do chalkboards, desks and other stuff but not the entire room.

K and S said...

Great comments Jalna, Lizzy, K, Anon & Kirk, Thank you!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

In my junior high school days, all stuents had to keep silent,so school`s rule made us not to say nothing while we were cleaning, which would shock you.I also think it`s funny rule.
But that rule still continue to my kids`.

Rowena said...

I can only speak for my years at a small catholic school, and we had to dustmop floors and clean the chalkboards/erasers after the school day was over. I never did mind the cleaning part since afterwards we would continue to play on school grounds or do homework assignments before eventually going home. The nuns sometimes called out to tell us to go home!

Anonymous said...

ha ha, In my brat days, I and friends always fought with each other by brooms as weapon. And we used to be scolded by teacher.

K and S said...

I heard about that before Anon, still it is surprising.

Whoa, you went to catholic school, Rowena?!

That is kind of funny Anon.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

St. Theresa in Kekaha, and 8 years since kindergarten was at a public school. I still remember having to bring the tuition money to school every month. The nuns gave us these small brown-yellow envelopes specifically for putting the monies inside. I wish I could remember how much it cost (for me and my 2 brothers).

K and S said...

I remember our school lunch was 25 cents/meal, and when I graduated highschool it was 45 cents/meal, Rowena. We had to pay everyday instead of a monthly payment.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

We had to do little straightening jobs in the classroom but never full-on cleaning. ;-)

K and S said...

hmm, I wonder if they have janitors in their schools here, Deb?!

Take care.
Kat