Friday, October 27, 2017

saba tofu dry curry

The other day I was surfing around and caught part of the many health programs they show here and one of the things they mentioned was how fish like saba (mackerel) can boost your good cholesterol.

They also gave an easy recipe so I tried it last night.

Saba Tofu Dry Curry : 4 servings (or less depending on your serving size) : adapted from television show

1/2 tofu (about 160 grams)
1 can saba (mackerel packed in water) (about 200 grams)
nub of ginger, grated
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Press water out of tofu and break up with your hands, press between paper towel again.

Drain the water from the can and break up the saba into a pan.

Add ginger, tomato paste, curry and worcestershire sauce.

Cook on medium-low until all liquid has evaporated.

NOTES: Super easy to make and tasty.

The ginger helps to mask any "fishiness".

The original recipe calls for ketchup but I used tomato paste instead to cut out some sugar.

Also, I didn't have any worcestershire sauce, so I used tonkatsu sauce.

This was good on rice but I am also thinking it might be good in gyoza wrappers, and hope to try this way soon.

We have another typhoon approaching over the next couple of days...hoping this one won't be as bad.

Have a nice weekend.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like the fish curry I just got from Muji, except you have way more fish :)!
I think I'll try making this. sounds easy enough!
v

K and S said...

hope you like it V!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I stock up on tinned saba whenever they're on sale, but I never knew the thing about good cholesterol,

jalna said...

I like how you improvise to improve.

K and S said...

Am thinking I should sub saba in place of tuna whenever possible, Rowena :)

Thanks Jalna!

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

lance said...

Do you think it would taste ok with canned sardines in oil? Does canned saba taste like fried saba? Have you tried frying canned sardines with oyster sauce and topped with green onions? So ono with poi. LoL!!!

K and S said...

I think you could use canned sardines Lance. I think canned saba tastes a little more fishier than fried. Have never tried frying sardines with oyster sauce and green onions, but will give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!

Take care.
Kat