Monday, November 05, 2018

store fronts

Been fascinated with the old store fronts that are here and there around our neighborhood, as well as in other neighborhoods.

Some are still in business while others are not.

Like this green grocer.

Fish shop.

This one looks like a home and I think it partly is, but it is also a masonry shop.

This shop is leaning, kind of scarily...weird thing is that it is a building contractor's shop.

Japanese sweet shop.

Oden stand.

Candy shop.

Wire/metal shop.

Somewhere near Yushima.

The stained glass door for this glass shop was impressive.

I like the retro look and that they don't have all that over-sensory neon.

6 comments:

Rowena said...

these shops have so much character compared to the usual mall store. love the candy shop!

jalna said...

LOVE!!!! Some of those would be great to sketch!!

Anonymous said...

I love walking through places like these. Especially intrigued by the oden shop. Before my first trip to Japan almost 20 years ago, I had thought they were all over the place. LOL, first trip was to Osaka so of course not. I had imagined on the cold autumn or wintery streets, there would be oden or soba stands. Sounds like people coming to Hawaii and asking where the grass shacks are, you think?
v

KirkK said...

That's really part of the charm when walking around Japan Kat! All those older buildings have such character.

Anonymous said...

oh man these photos made me so home sick cuz when we stayed w/ obaachan every day we went to the 'supa' and those were part of neighborhood, can almost smell the air! *sigh* -N

K and S said...

so different from when we lived in Osaka, Rowena!

I could see you doing that Jalna!

so true V! I once had a cousin from the mainland ask me if we had electricity in Hawaii...

I agree Kirk :)

aw N, sorry to make you homesick! lots of beautiful memories!

Take care everyone.
Kat