Friday, November 16, 2018

borscht

Before going to Hawaii back in June, I found beets at the market, roasted them, then stuck them in the freezer.

Then recently, our train line which has a free monthly magazine/pamphlet had a feature on European recipes and borscht was one of them.

The weather was a bit nippy, so I adapted the recipe and made us a batch.

Borscht adapted from "Salus" November 2018 (makes 2 servings)

1/2 carrot, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 onion, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 roasted beet, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large leaf kale, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups water
1 cube vegetable bouillon
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons yogurt, measure then placed onto paper towel to remove water
dry dill, optional

Put the carrot, zucchini, onion and potato into a pot/pan and saute in olive oil until onion is transparent.
Add the water, bouillon cube and tomato paste, cook on medium high for about 5 minutes.
When potato is soft, lower heat to simmer and add the beet and kale.
Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
When serving, add half the yogurt and sprinkle dill.

NOTES: This recipe actually had another one to make your own beef stock to add to the soup, but I didn't use it because I wanted to use the vegetable bouillon that I had in my pantry. This was still tasty (and easy) plus I still have more beets and one more vegetable bouillon cube, so I will make this again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's a lunch counter near my office that makes this. really yummy too!
v

K and S said...

V, must be ono!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I can't remember the last time I had borscht, but this looks healthy too!

Cathy said...

My mom always made borscht (with pork ribs) for Easter dinner. It’s such a comfort food, as are beets in general.

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena!

borscht with pork ribs sounds delicious Cathy!

Take care you two.
Kat