Friday, February 12, 2021

makka nouen

Yesterday I ordered a box of  blood oranges from Tabechoku.

This is my 4th order from Tabechoku.

Makka Nouen is located in Hiroshima prefecture and the farmer was once a businessman.

10 years ago he quit his job and started farming.

The box I ordered was 3 kilos (about 6.6 pounds).

I wasn't too sure how many fruit would be in the box and was quite surprised to see each one wrapped in plastic wrap!

What a waste of plastic!

There were 25 orbs and all were different sizes. 

I unwrapped a few and we will work through the box over the coming weeks (maybe days)

I received a message from the farmer who said that he wraps each one to prevent the outside of the fruit from getting marked up.

I think he should invest in paper fillers instead...

Besides eating the fruit as is, I plan to make some blood orange infused vodka with the peel and also keep some peel in the freezer for baking.

Our numbers are continuing to go down though the number of hospitalizations has not.

We do have the variant virus (South African and UK) in Japan.

About 80 cases, 1 from South Africa and the rest UK and I hope they are carefully watching this....

The experts have also said that Japan has its own variant which came about some time last year.

As for the Olympics...the top, who was once Prime Minister of Japan has shown his "true colors" with sexist remarks...oy!

Japan has a long way to go with gender equality, hopefully this incident will spark some changes, no matter how big or small.

I personally feel Tokyo should cancel hosting the Olympics and use what monies they do have left to support the medical community and work on getting this pandemic under control instead...

Have a safe weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup, the "wild" blood oranges here from Waimanalo look more like grapefruit with very little color but they are so sweet and juicy, (and free when my boss remembers to bring them LOL).
yours look gorgeous!
v

K and S said...

hope you get some from your boss V:)

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

Ho da red!

K and S said...

Jalna, so ono too:)

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I had not heard of the Japanese variant...yikes, imagine if that one made it over to the islands. I also saw that news about the sexist remarks thing - just awful.

K and S said...

Rowena, apparently the virus changes every so often, so I would not be surprised if Hawaii has their own variant.

Take care.
kat