Thursday, October 28, 2021

daikon rice

Since I bought a whole daikon, I was interested in cooking it with rice.

I found this recipe on Shirogohan and made it twice....

Makes 2 servings.

1 cup rice, washed


1 piece of aburaage (about 2-inch by 2-inch)

2 round pieces of daikon (about 1/2 inch thick), peeled and cut into cubes.

150 milliliters dashi (stock)

1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)

1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)

1 okra, minced

Pour hot water over the aburaage to remove the oil, cut into strips then into squares.

Add the aburaage and daikon to the rice then add the dashi, shoyu and mirin.

Cook the rice on "takikomi" mode, hopefully your rice cooker has this.

After rice is cooked, mix in minced okra and serve.

NOTES: the original recipe has you use the daikon greens but since the daikon I bought did not have any, I added some okra, feel free to add green onions.

We enjoyed this, the daikon gets really soft and soaks up the dashi.

I will make this again.

6 comments:

jalna said...

How interesting!!

K and S said...

Jalna, different yeah?!

Take care
Kat

Li said...

How would I duplicate "takikomi" cooking? I have a very basic rice cooker. Thanks!

K and S said...

Li, If your rice cooker doesn’t have “takikomi” then cook rice as you do, but you will not have the “koge” (darker rice) that you often find at the bottom when eating takikomi rice.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

I use my regular old rice cooker when making Takikomi Gohan Kat...it turns out rather well.

K and S said...

Thanks for telling me that Kirk:)

Take care!
Kat