Tuesday, October 05, 2021

nihonbashi

Yesterday we walked around the Nihonbashi area.

We've visited this area 10 years ago.

After having a hard time finding our bearings, we finally found the spot where the 1st post office in Japan was started. 

On the outside wall of the building, there is a plaque noting this and the building is still used as a post office.

We also found Tamahide...they have been in business since 1760!

They are well known for their oyakodon but also serve course menus too.

We thought they would be closed since we thought their website said so, but they were open and we didn't have to wait too long for a table...whoo!

The last time we ate out was back in July.

We both ordered the aburidon, broiled chicken thighs are used...the oyakodon is so huge! 1800 yen (tax included)

The chicken is cooked perfectly and the custardy egg has dashi and other seasonings mixed in it.

I couldn't eat all of it and Satoshi finished it for me.

I'm glad we got to try this place!

After lunch we walked up the street to Yanagiya, which has been in business since 1916!

Satoshi had their azuki ice monaka. 160 yen (tax included)
I had their taiyaki. 170 yen (tax included)

The weather was so blazing, that eating something piping hot was krazy (plus I was still super full from lunch), so I took a few bites then put it into my bag to eat later.

The outer part of the taiyaki was so thin and it was filled to the gills with sweet bean paste! 

I'm glad we got to try this too.

Afterwards we checked out Suitengu, a shrine where a lot of families go to get their newborn children blessed.

On our way back to Tokyo station, I was intrigued by this building...from this angle the slats are pink and green.
But from this angle it is blue and purple...cool yeah?!

16560...totally out of shape from “staying at home” plus the weather was so miserably hot.

Tokyo's state of emergency ended on Thursday and we hope to get out more often in the days to come.

p.s. Tokyo's case rate yesterday was 87!

Tamahide
1-17-10 Nihonbashiningyo-cho
Chuo, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3668.7651
Lunch :11:30-14:30, Dinner 17:00-20:00
*they aren't open everyday, so call before going
**cash only

Yanagiya
2-11-3 Nihonbashiningyo-cho
Chuo, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3666.9901
Closed Sundays
Hours: 12:30-18:00

8 comments:

jenny said...

Great to hear the numbers are lowering! Love following along on these adventures, the oyako-don really does look great. I haven't had a good one in...years!

Anonymous said...

nice walk! I did a 3 hour walk yesterday. Not.In.Shape. Was trying to think of someone I could call to pick me up, LOL, but I made it!
Almost bought a tray of taiyaki from Nijiya too but thought reason I'm walking was to lose weight so I didn't buy it.
Japan style oyakodon and katsudon usually has runny eggs. I think I like little more set, yours looked so ono!
I think it's past the season but I've wanted to go to Nihonbashi area to see the irises. I think has to be April or May.
v

K and S said...

Will look to see where in Nihonbashi the irises are, V!

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Hope you can get some oyakodon soon Jenny:)

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

Ho, you and V (and Satoshi) sure can walk!

K and S said...

Jalna, so hard to walk afterwards though lol

Take care!
Kat

KirkK said...

Glad you got a chance to dine out Kat! It's interesting how quickly the Covid numbers in Japan has tumbled.

K and S said...

We are a little baffled by the numbers too Kirk, hoping it really is low!

Take care!
Kat