Thursday, June 06, 2024

nira (chive) sauce

Saw this nira (chive) sauce in a book by Aso Yoichiro and wanted to try.

1 bunch of chives, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Put the salt onto the cut chives and let sit for 30 minutes
After the 30 minutes, squeeze out the water and add the oil and sesame seeds
Use as topping for tofu and meats 

Not knowing if this sauce had enough flavor (because I usually don't taste when making things), I added a little shoyu to our tofu, but it actually didn't need anything more than the chive sauce.
We had it on chicken.

And on pork

NOTES: I only made half the recipe and it was super easy and delicious. 

Not sure how they sell chives where you are, but in Japan, they sell them in bunches (one bunch is like 1 or 2 inches in diameter)

I cook the protein without any seasoning and use this sauce on top.

I want to try this “sauce” on eggs and on gyoza next.

Will use the other half of the bunch to make more sauce 

5 comments:

jalna said...

Interesting!

K and S said...

Jalna, different :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I wondered what you would use it for. It's so easy to grow. I've had a pot for years but aside from sticking it in Vietnamese summer rolls which I don't make anymore or kimchi which I've never attempted only, I only need a few leaves for baked potato. The ingredients make is sound exactly like a banchan. I bet would be good adding to ssamgyupsal or other Korean wraps.
v

KirkK said...

Interesting recipe Kat!

K and S said...

if you try this on your ssamgyupsal, I hope you like it V!

Kirk, it is :)

Take care you two.
Kat