Tuesday, April 03, 2007

goma-azuki-satsumaimo bread

Have you ever seen a bread this intense?

Yesterday, I had a dentist appointment in Umeda. After my 3 month cleaning and check-up, I wandered the food floor of the Daimaru department store.

I bought myself a bento (boxed lunch) for lunch and also found this great bread made by Paul Bocuse, a well-known French chef--sorry but I had not known about Paul Bocuse until coming to Japan.

This bread ( I think this bread had some kind of French name, but it was in katakana and I couldn't remember it. )is a crusty french bread filled with kurogoma (black sesame seeds), azuki (adzuki beans), chunks of satsumaimo (sweet potato) and shirogoma (white sesame seeds) on top.

In the past, I had tasted another bread made by another bakery with just sweet potato and black sesame seeds, which was also very delicious, so I figured this bread with the azuki beans was a bonus layer of flavor.

I guess a slice of this might have tasted wonderful with butter and/or jam on it, but why would I want to cover up the natural sweetness from the beans and sweet potato?

Looking forward to having more of this for breakfast tomorrow!

3 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

That bread looks heavenly! Kat you find such wonderful stuff. Have a great week! Take care.

bourgogne said...

that bread looks like a meal in itself. somehow i think the french breads in japan might be even better than the french breads in france!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura!

It does look like a meal in itself, Bourgogne. I've never had french bread in France, so I'm curious to see if they may be better in Japan.

Take care.

Kat