Last year I participated in this meme featuring 10 of my favorite photos.
This year, I thought it might be a nice way to end the year while looking back at 10 of my favorite cooking experiences. (not in any particular order)
10. Yakionigiri soup. This was a dish I recreated after our trip to Hokkaido in February...a great way to warm up on a chilly morning!
9. Nikumaki Onigiri. This dish was inspired from a photo I saw in a magazine. It was a little labor intensive, but I loved the flavors.
8. Milk Jam. This was my first time making my own milk jam or dulce de leche. I enjoyed this and am definitely make this again.
7. Tarte Tatin. This was my first time making and eating this. It was a delicious upside down apple pie and also good with vanilla ice cream.
6. Vegetable Hash. Sometimes good food comes from experimenting. I had envisioned crispy hash, but the results were a little moist, still it was great with an egg on top.
5. Walnut Shrimp. The first time I tried this recipe it was REALLY labor intensive. I revised it and came up with an easier version.
4. Veggie Curry. This was a colorful way to plate curry. Even though I used pre-made roux to make the curry itself, I loved the bright colors on my plate.
3. Greek Nachos. You will never go back to "real fake" cheese after eating this.
2. Ahi Poke Slider. This was a nice way to have poke. I think you could serve this any time of the year.
1. Ayun's Salad. This salad was so simple and the flavors intense. I'm making this again next summer.
Overall, 2009 was a great year. Sure, we had some bumps along the way, but for the most part, it was good.
While my kitchen experiences weren't as frequent as I would have liked, I think the ones that I did have were mostly good experiences.
Thank you readers, I look forward to your comments and emails, they really brighten my day.
Though the economy isn't too good, I am happy that we get to gather around each other's dining room tables virtually, sharing ideas and experiences.
I hope 2010 will be a good year for everyone--healthy & prosperous.
Thanks 2009 and Gochisoosama!
p.s. this was the moon on 12/30/09...it is supposed to be full on the 31st, but I'm not sure what the weather will be like, so I snapped this while our skies are clear...