Friday, January 26, 2007

legend seafood restaurant

Legend Seafood Restaurant has been around in Chinatown for quite awhile now. There is always a line out front, which can mean only one thing, they are good! I didn't know this, but they also have another restaurant in Waikiki--that's where my friend, Carroll, took me to lunch today.

In Hawaii, we call these Chinese items "dim sum" but I know in Japan and in other places, they call it "yum cha". I don't quite know what the difference in the namings are, but it is good to know just in case you are craving this type of food.

In Hawaii, the waitresses usually push around these carts with all kinds of different "dim sum" on board. She'll stop at your table, show you what she's got in her cart and you pick and choose what you want to eat. There are even some carts where they will cook the dish right at your table! Then, she'll mark a sheet with what you've eaten. If you go with someone who is REALLY hungry, your card may be filled with lots of stamps by the time it's time to settle the bill. I've never come across this style of dining in Japan yet.

We had char siu bao or as we call it in Hawaii--manapua. The pork filling tends to be red in Hawaii whereas it isn't in Japan and I can't remember if we had these in China. I love the outside of this, it is really soft and fluffy! And the filling inside is a little sweet.

We also had fried taro (a type of potato)--a light airy outside, taro in the center with a whole crispy fried shrimp stuck into the middle.

Spring rolls are always a must....we actually had more dishes, but I was so hungry, I had forgotten to photograph them.

And for dessert, almond float or as they call it in Japan, annin-dofu. I understand that in China they actually use tofu (soy bean curd) for this dish. The gelatin cubes are flavored with almond extract...very nice way to end a meal.

Legend Seafood Restaurant
100 N. Beretania St (Chinatown location)
Phone: 808-532-1868

2255 Seaside Avenue (Waikiki location)
Phone: 808-926-8999

Open daily: (Breakfast & Lunch) 10:30-14:00 and (Dinner) 17:30-21:00
Call for reservations if you have a large group, or to guarantee you a seat

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I love Yum Cha as we call it here Kat.

bourgogne said...

"yum cha" sounds so adorable. and now i want some!

Anonymous said...

That fried taro is like a piece of art!

Anonymous said...

I love this kind of food trip! Makes me want to head to Chinatown now.

K and S said...

Thanks Barbara, Bourgogne, Sue and Bea!

Hope you can try this at your local Chinatown, or if you come this way.

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Another good place if you happen to be in Kaimuki is Happy Day at the corner of Waialae Ave. and 11th. Avenue. The dim sum is pretty good but what is great is that in the mornings (8 to 11 AM I think), you can select from the same dim sum being served in the restaurant at 25% off for take-out! Extremely reasonable then. Good to take home if live around there or take if visiting someone and want to bring something.

K and S said...

Thanks for the tip, Nate! Will let my brother know, since he is always wanting to bring some home!

Take care.

Kat