Monday, January 08, 2007

new friends

I recently received an email from someone who introduced herself as Audrey. The first email was kind of weird because all it said was "we can bring you some chocolates, let me know". But when I checked my other email address, a clearer picture came from it. Apparently, she was googling for information about something in Osaka and came across my blog.

If you have been reading my blog, you'll know that Satoshi takes German language lessons and that I take beading lessons and of course, how much I heart dark chocolate. Well, Audrey felt that those points, parallelled her and her husband with us. You see, she is a jewelry designer and her husband is a former pastry chef, who was trained in Germany by a Swiss master and is now an artisan chocolatier in Oakland.

She wrote that they would be travelling to Japan and would be in Osaka and Kyoto for a couple of days, and would like to meet up for coffee. Now, I like to make new friends and meet new people and try to see the good in everything but I still had mixed feelings about the whole idea--kind of cautious about the whole thing because I didn't actually know who this person was contacting me through the internet and yet, kind of excited because a jewelry designer and her chocolatier husband wanted to meet up with us! Wow!

So, I asked Satoshi if he would come with me, and though we were both cautious about the whole situation, we arranged to meet them in the lobby of their hotel. The weather was just awful, sleety and cold. Still, we were able to locate their hotel and meet up with them. We chatted a bit and asked them what they had been up to and where they wanted to go for lunch. They had seen a shop in their guide book which advertised homemade soba (buckwheat noodles). We made our way to Shijo Avenue and went to Gontaro. The restaurant was very nice and we enjoyed chatting over lunch.

After lunch, we walked the nearby Nishiki market. If you've only shopped in a supermarket, this place is a great experience. All kinds of fresh and dry foods all along this arcade there is definitely an air of excitement.

They had wanted to try some cakes, so I took them to Au Grenier D'or which just off of Nishiki market, I've posted about this place before, (here). Satoshi's dessert was called Pyramid--a chocolate sponge cake with ganache, a chocolate coating and cocoa powder is sprayed onto the coating to give it a kind of fuzzy look--It is supposed to look like the pyramid at the Louvre.

My dessert was called Sicile, a dacquoise japonais meringue with a fluffy ground almond filling and pistachios on top. We all tasted each other's desserts and had a nice tea time. Audrey had a grapfruit tart and Michael had a tart with all kinds of nuts on it. Everything was delicious!

After dessert, we walked to Kiyomizu temple and enjoyed all the shops and sites along the way.

Since we were all getting a bit hungry, we stopped in to have chanko nabe at Kawamura. Chanko nabe is the dish that sumotori (Japanese wrestlers) eat everyday. It is a pot filled with stock and different kinds of meats and veggies. I think the owner of this restaurant used to be a sumotori. Satoshi has taken me to this restaurant before and their food is good. It was nice that Michael and Audrey were willing to try new foods andwe all had a nice time talking and drinking.

It was then time to say goodbye to our new friends and we promised to meet up again either in Oakland or Osaka.

We were fortunate to receive some of Michael's designer bars: From the left clockwise: 72% cacao ginger bar made from single origin criollo Ecuadorian chocolate, 72% cacao orange bar made from single origin criollo Ecuadorian chocolate, 65% cacao cherry, cranberry and blueberry bar made from single origin criollo Venezuelan chocolate, and 65% cacao orange and cranberry bar made from single origin criollo Venezuelan chocolate. Thank you!

I'm not an expert on chocolates, but these chocolates were really delicious--creamy and a bit acidic and I was impressed with the amount of fruits that were on these bars, usually other chocolates kind of skimp on the fruits. These bars had a nice balance of fruit and chocolate and all matched really well with the type of chocolate that was used. Satoshi, who is a milk chocolate lover was impressed by these chocolates and enjoyed them. These chocolates also went very well with the 2003 BIN 555 Shiraz that we had from Wyndham Estate.

If you are in the Oakland area, or are planning a visit to SF, check them out:
Michael Mischer Chocolates
3353 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610
Phone: 510.986.1822
Open daily 12:00-21:00

Audrey Daniels
3313 Grand Avenue Suite 202
Oakland, CA 94610
Phone: 510.836.7550

It was a great weekend, hope you have a nice week!

15 comments:

bourgogne said...

thanks for a very sweet and inspiring post. sounds like you had a lot of food and fun. i used to be a lot more sociable but so, so, sooooo much less now! hmmm, something to work on for 2007? maybe.

K and S said...

Hope to see you get out more in 2007, Bourgogne!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

We never know what a blog can do for us, right? :D
Those chocolates with fruit look delicious. I wonder if I am ever going to have a chance to meet some people from my blog.

K and S said...

Who knows, Sue! Maybe you'll be able to meet up with some people soon! If ever you come this way, let me know! :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how this world has shrunk with the Internet! It's so nice that you were able to make new friends with people who have the interests as you and your husband. I would have been 'worried' at first too, to meet up with people from over the Internet, but I guess there're still lots of lovely and real people in cyberspace and not only criminals!

2kamuela47 said...

It’s pretty amazing to meet people through your blog. I can relate to be a bit cautious especially with all of the negative things happening on the Internet. But this turned out into a positive. The friendships you gained is something that wouldn't have happened if you didn't meet. Keep posting your experiences I really enjoy reading them. ~Laura

K and S said...

Hi Monique & Laura,
We were very fortunate that everything worked out for the best and very happy to make new friends. With all of the weird incidents happening in the world, it is nice to know that there are still some nice people out there!
Take care you two!
Kat

Jann said...

I have never heard of a bad meeting from bloggers-it generally turns out to be fun. I would always want to be with someone else in the initial meeting-smart-sounds like a very fun time the four of you had together.

K and S said...

Hi Jann,
So far the people I have been meeting up with aren't bloggers, but have been either reading my blog or come across it through google. I was glad that Satoshi was able to join us and we did enjoy the day.
Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had such a lovely day with your new friends and got to try some of their lovely chocolates! Sounds like you had a lovely day!

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie, we had fun.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat, I am glad the meet-up went well, and you received great chocolates too. It is amazing the ways you can meet people and made friends just like that, the internet has really brought us all a long way. Cheers and have a great weekend! Ivy

K and S said...

Hi Ivy,
The chocolates were very good but the friendships made were precious!
I am always amazed at how the internet brings so many people together!
Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

It's a small world for sure. I saw Audrey and Michael Yesterday at a special function at Michael's shop in Oakland and they told me about their vacation to Japan and they told me you had a blog. I had been experimenting with doing a blog for them and told them I'd locate your blog and then make a post back to your blog. Anyway: It's nice to have seen your blog and Michael and Audrey will be sure to contact you. I wrote them today to let them know about your post.

K and S said...

Thanks for visiting our blog. I'm going to link your blog to ours. Take care!
Kat