Sunday, July 08, 2007

bulgogi

Awhile back I posted about bulgogi that I had tasted at Kazumi's house. She had given me the recipe soon after that, but I'd only gotten around to making it last night.

Kazumi had gone to Korea earlier in the year and learned how to make this dish from a well-known chef. This chef is the apprentice to the chef that was a consultant for the historical Korean program, "Dae Jang Geum"--A story about a women who works her way up through the royal court kitchen. (sorry, I don't have the chef's name, but I'll attach her website, if you can read Korean.)

According to the notes, bulgogi is a type of nobiani (Korean style barbeque). This recipe is really easy to make, give it a try.

600g beef sirloin or filet
2 tablespoon sake (rice wine)

Yangnyeom (marinade): 4 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
2 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon pear juice
4 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons grated garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon ground sesame seed
2 tablespoon sesame seed oil

Baste: 1 tablespoon honey

Topping: 1 tablespoon chopped pine nuts

1. Slice the meat into 5mm thick pieces.
2. With a paper towel, blot off any blood from the meat. Add the sake and set aside.
3. Make the yannyomu and add to the meat. Let the meat rest in the marinade for 30 minutes.
4. After the 30 minutes, cook over charcoal, if that isn't possible, cook in a very hot pan, laying each piece flat to cook.
5. After one side has been heated through, baste with honey.
6. Put meat onto a mesh grill and cook thoroughly. Plate and top with pine nuts.

NOTES: I bought 150g of sirloin cut thinly and made half of the marinade. Since it isn't pear season here, I grated apple and put that into the marinade instead. Also, I didn't have a mesh grill, so I just basted the meat in the frying pan. I served the bulgogi with sanchu (I think it is a type of Korean lettuce, which is quite bitter by itself) and kim chee. We wrapped the bulgogi in the sanchu with kim chee and ate it. Delicious! I'll definitely make this again. (Thanks for the recipe, Kazumi!)

p.s. I wasn't too sure at how to spell some of the Korean terms in a Romanized way, so if it is spelled wrong, I'm sorry!

12 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

Looks ono! I'm going to try this one day. Thanks!

K and S said...

I hope you like it Laura! Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! This sounds very, very tasty.

The story of "Dae Jang Geum" sounds very interesting to read.

Paz

Monkey Wrangler said...

Mmmmm, bulgogi. I have a Korean sister in law who will appreciate this one. (Being made for her, the next time she is over that is.) Thanks!

Jann said...

So, do you eat kim chee?I have noticed that you have mentioned it before in other posts-is not made with lots of garlic/tomatoes? what actually is in it?

K and S said...

Thanks Paz, "Dae Jang Geum" is a historical TV program, but I'm sure you could find it in book form too.

Would love to see your version when you make it for your sister-in-law, Monkey wrangler!

Jann, I do eat kim chee. I have not seen it made with tomatoes, although I have seen some with cucumbers. There are chilies, garlic and lots of veggies in kim chee. I've never made it myself, but when I do, I'll be sure to post about it.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Anonymous said...

This sounds very similar to my ma's recipe, except for the basting in honey! I'll have to ask her about this step :)

K and S said...

Would like to hear what your mom has to say about the recipe, Ellie! Take care.
Kat

Monique said...

It is just too easy to get this at a restaurant, or even at a Korean supermarket, so I'm too lazy to make it at home. Plus, I know for sure that my homemade one won't taste as good anyways so I don't bother! hahahaha

K and S said...

Aww Monique, it really is easy to make. I hope you do try to make this.

Take care.
Kat

uno said...

I am very interested in the article that you created. I am very interested in Korean food I hope someday I can make it yourself

K and S said...

I love this recipe Uno, I hope you will too.

Take care.
Kat